Looking for a Clarity?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by jdonalds, Aug 23, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

There are 10 of them at the local Honda dealer in Redding, CA

They've only sold two since December, mine and a silver one I see from time to time. I have no idea why there would be 10 of them taking up space for several months.

[​IMG]

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Akinto

Akinto Member

I’m surprised they’re in business at all given the fires.

4. kent335

kent335 Member

The Claritiys are there because people don't want to buy them. I bought my Clarity from Stockton Honda in Stockton, CA. When I bought it, there were 50 Claritys on the lot. We have to do a better job of promoting this vehicle to the people around us. I love the Clarity Plug-In Hybrid that I bought. 1500 miles, and still on the first tank of gas. I'm fueling for free from the solar panels. Haven't experienced a single warning light or had any problems whatsoever.

5. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

When they're just gathering dust, you can get crazy good deals. Add in the $7500 tax credit, any state credits and you'll have a super efficient, fun to drive, big luxurious car for less than a Civic or Corolla. That's just crazy!!!

6. jdonalds

Unfortunately many cars were burned in the Redding "Carr" fire (no pun intended) so they have to be replaced.

The same is true for homes. Over 1,000 homes lost turns into a boon for the construction industry.

Akinto likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. weave

weave Active Member

Ugh, 10 sitting on the lot since December? You know they haven't seen a charge all that time too. :-(

9. ab13

ab13 Active Member

Unfortunately this could be a big problem with battery vehicles as more show up at the lots of all the brands.

10. stanigu

stanigu Member

The dealer needs to charge the battery in order to sell more of these cars. Driving a Clarity on an empty battery is rather an unpleasant experience because the engine has to work too hard and sounds buzzy during the test drive, which would be a turn off for many potential buyers. Imagine if they were fully charged and drives off with electric motor only...the perception of the prospective buyer would be totally different.

weave and lordsutch like this.
  11. lordsutch

lordsutch Member

Surprisingly(?) both of the dealers I test-drove at had the batteries fully charged. The one I ended up with had been in the showroom and was about 2/3 charged, and they didn't have a level 2 charger at the dealer so I'm pretty sure they didn't just charge it right before I drove off the lot.

After my one experience running down the battery to 0 EV miles/2 bars I can see how drivers could get a bad first impression, particularly at low speeds if you're not used to hybrids and other CVT-like transmissions where the engine revs don't always correspond to the pedal position. Even then I was surprised how frequently it would cut off the engine and run in EV mode at cruising speed, though.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. jdonalds

In Econ mode without too much pedal pressure it will stay in EV mode. It should be easy to keep the engine from coming on.

We test drove the first car off the truck on Dec 5. I thinkthi arrived partially charged.

The dealers really aren't doing a good job of selling the Clarity. Now that the professional reviews are old news the car isn't getting much press. I'm thinking of making my own video and posting it on YouTube to let prospective buyers know how good this car is. Having higher volume sales will benefit all of us over time.

Alantn likes this.
  14. Dealers don’t know how to sell these cars. They don’t explain how the tax incentives work. They don’t charge the batteries. They don’t explain how to maximize gas mileage by supplementing charging. Honda should have left out the skirt if they wanted mainstream buyers. Although it’s not possible because of the design, a lack of a sunroof on a touring model isn’t helping.

Louis Nisenbaum likes this.
  15. Honda should have taken a page from Tesla if they wanted more success.

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Does Honda ever take a page from anybody?

17. Honda and Toyota regularly steal design ques from each other. That being said, Tesla has demonstrated how to make these cars mainstream and it’s not by making them look like the Clarity. I love my Clarity, but I have a lot people look at it and lament at the styling.

18. insightman

Thank goodness Honda didn't steal the Prius' looks for the Clarity (like they did for the gen 2 Insight)! I think the Tesla Model S is gorgeous and I really didn't like the looks of the Clarity, but I've warmed up to the appearance of the Clarity since we bought ours in December.

I'm excited about the new design language Honda's shown with the Sports EV and Urban EV concept cars. I hope I can buy one in the US soon (unlikely), and they make it to production completely unchanged (impossible).

upload_2018-8-25_2-14-25.png

19. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

The reasons Tesla is successful are many, which include having a desirable and marketable product and a referral based sales program. With Tesla, a Joe blogger can actually get perks from Tesla for getting someone else to buy one.

The Clarity is a perfectly fine car that has many marketable points, but people don't understand it and your bloggers have no reason to push it.

Anything short of a full EV in this price range is probably a small market vehicle due to Model 3. I think manufacturers don't make cars with quite the right features and as you say they don't know how to sell the few they do.

20. David A

David A Guest

The rear panel design is an odd choice only from the visual perspective. It apparently adds more aerodynamics thus increasing efficiency. Whether it adds .1 mpg or 10 mpg is not relevant...it is there for a purpose.

People do not like change at all...something different is usually at odds with the majority until it becomes acceptable or the new norm. Those of us old enough to remember when torn jeans first came out or pants down to the knees with underwear hanging out...the masses made jokes and rejected it...now it is the norm.

IMHO...if Honda added all the features we would like to see in the touring...sun roof etc...this would have been a $45k plus car. This is a test vehicle for Honda...those who buy it may have a few bugs along the way but given amenities it does have plus the PHEV with 50 mile EV range...plus the tax incentives...its a great buy economically. The heck with the square panel.

I was on the list to buy a Tesla but changed my mind because as good as those cars are now...the technology and production of true EV's changes almost monthly. Model 3 as you know it today wouldn't even be the same in 2 years because of battery/drive train tech.

I bought the Honda Clarity solely as a transition vehicle between ICE and full EV. I have no doubt I will own a true EV within the next 7 years. Only question is...what will it be and how far will it drive on a 15 minute charge?

Kailani likes this.
  21. insightman

Then you'll be looking at the Porsche Taycan. Inside EVs reports:
    > Once the battery is depleted, it will take roughly 15 minutes
    > to obtain enough energy to cover 400 km (248 miles) thanks
    > to the Taycan’s fast-charging capabilities taking advantage of
    > 800-volt chargers.

The next question: How many 800-volt chargers will populate your neighborhood?

22. Alantn

Alantn Member

It's all about economics. Honda may be losing money on each of the Clarity to get carbon emission credits. Dealers don't push the Clarity partly because there's not a lot of profit in selling it and worse on the servicing side where they make the most money. But for the few like us who have the Clarity, we profit :) There are a few aspects of the Clarity that need change but overall it's a very good vehicle and the right compromise for what it's for.

23. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

I am not sure if the dealers are going lose out on the service side base on what other threads are saying if we have to do an oil change every 6000 miles and brake service every 10000 miles. This is more frequent than my regular old ICE car