Long-term monitoring of electricity use, is there a way?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by 10sqmiles, Feb 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 10sqmiles

10sqmiles New Member

I am learning the features of this vehicle on a "need to know" basis, lots there.

I am in a situation where I pay my HOA for the electricity I use in charging. We have developed a rough matrix but I am interested in getting a precise measure of use, understanding that I would need to deduct any off-site charging I do.

Is there a way to access a total of electricity use (Or barring that EV mileage accumulated) over a given interval.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Do you use a level 1 or level 2 charger? Is it plug-in or hard-wired? If you have a simple plug-in level 1 charger like the car’s OEM charger, just get a Kill-a-Watt device and plug the charger into that. Some level 2 chargers come with the ability to track power usage built into them. There are also power usage monitors for 240v that can be installed by an electrician on the charger outlet (or circuit) that could track the car’s usage.

Don’t track usage by EV miles driven because EV miles per charge is highly variable.

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

My Level 2 Charge Point EVSE monitors kWhrs and calculates cost based on utility rates or whatever cost per kWHr you want to use. Its app works on phone or computer and downloads graph and costs easily. That way you and your HOA can have an unbiased record of kWhrs used. It gives daily and monthly reports. You just give the HOA the password so they can access it. The EVSE will have to be in WiFi range though.
    Here’s an example of cost per month:
    0D3E6939-0A49-48FF-8AA7-4F83F59D6B47.png

Sandroad likes this.
  5. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

I use an iDevices switch. It is aWiFi enabled “smart plug” that plugs inline between outlet and charger. It cost about $30.00. The free app monitors usage and allows for scheduling and remote on/off.

https://store.idevicesinc.com/idevices-switch/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  6. lanb

lanb Active Member

Seems like a good inexpensive option for the OP !

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

I use JuicePlug for tracking all non-smart charges (basically everything but ChargePoint). I managed to catch mine on eBay, eMotorWerks isn’t making them anymore. I’m suprised there isn’t a bigger market for this kind of device. I am wondering if we got enough people together here if they would be willing to do another small production run?
    6AD67DCD-484A-46E2-9371-4C9D81706EB5.jpeg AFE9D442-CA89-46DC-8C3C-92AC07044DDF.jpeg
    E673A2DA-A1BD-4032-80EF-B8C6116FC514.png

JustAnotherPoorDriver and MPower like this.
  9. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

It is, just have to make sure the smart plug is rated for the load you are putting through it. Some are rated for only 10 amps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

10. 10sqmiles

10sqmiles New Member

We are set up here with JuiceBox and they are supposed to allow us to monitor electricity use. Unfortunately, in spite of great efforts on the part of one of our residents, we have been unable to keep them reliably connected to the WiFi. We have strong signals, have re-configured repeatedly, and installed signal repeaters all to no avail.

eMotorWerks has now asked that we deploy a beta firmware update, maybe that will help, we are still in the testing phase of things

11. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Olimpia

Olimpia Member

Sounds like you need some sort of power meter. I recently purchased a "Kill-a-Watt" power meter and it seems to be working without any issues.

14. Very cool, but seems like it could easily be stolen.

Also a shame--we should be able to track this using the hardware already in the car.

15. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Yeah if they start making it again they need to have a latch on the car side also that is keyed.

16. 10sqmiles

10sqmiles New Member

But I don't think that is viable for a JuiceBox (220V)

17. Thomas Mitchell

iDevices Switch is rated 1800 Watts or 15 Amps at 120V. I have been using it for my OEM charger without problem.

18. Thomas Mitchell

It would have been helpful if that was information was presented in the OP

19. nymphaeles

nymphaeles Member

I use a JuiceBox Pro 40, it's a smart charger level 2 that keeps track of what amount of electricity used, among other smart functions.
    Here is an online chart of electricity used in the last 6 months. You can download a cvs file for record keeping sake.

upload_2019-3-6_9-18-46.png

20. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Not sure where you reside, but in Texas you can get precise consumption information in intervals as short as 15 minutes for "smartmeters" by going to www.smartmetertexas.com. If you aren't in Texas, I think you most likely can get similar information online from the utility serving your area. Of course, that would include whatever power the HOA itself consumes too, so the best solution for you may be to "meter" your usage at the EVSE level as others have already suggested in this thread.

21. Imagine being relevant.