Lo-Jack and other anti-theft

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ProspectiveBuyer, Aug 8, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Curious what other Clarity owners are doing as far as Lo-Jack or other anti-theft systems. And prices.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

This is an unsubstantiated opinion but I doubt anyone would want to steal a Clarity. It's seen as kind of a dorky car (I think it's very cool though) so joyriders will steer clear. It doesn't sell well as new so it'll be impossible to sell a stolen Clarity (besides Clarity buyers are not dishonest to buy a hot one anyway!). There are/will be very few on the road so there will be little demand for hot parts. Even the wheels are safe from theft. They are wide 18 inchers but they are UGLY without the wheel covers and no thief would want those Energy Saver tires on their car. I see the lack of interest from thieves yet another unsung benefit of the Clarity!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    craze1cars, uphill and pinrut like this.
  4. Alantn

Alantn Member

There's also a "Find my car" option on Honda Link. Not sure how well it works but seem like it would help if you forgot where you parked.

5. Zor

Zor Member

It seems to work most of the time but not always. It may use the GPS of the phone, it seems a little to accurate to be cell tower positioning. It is possible the GPS that is used for navigation is in all models.

6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

In my Touring, I can get an accurate GPS based location through Honda Link. It just doesn’t work when it’s moving as stated by Honda. So I don’t feel the need for spending any additional money for a Lo Jack type tracker.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Zor

Zor Member

Seems to work in the standard model as well, but i have had a few random issues where the car remained at my last parking spot.

9. How can it track when the car is not connected to a mobile phone?
    There is no communication between the car and Honda if there is no mobile or wifi connection.

Usually dealers will try to sell the customer LoJack but when I bought Clarity, the dealer didn't try to sell any anti-theft service.
    Not sure if LoJack has already fallen out of fashion.
    LoJack uses short range radio and only can be found if the car get caught by the receiver operated by the police.

I believe there are many better alternatives now like using mobile chip but I didn't look into it (I've thought about just hardwired a hidden cellphone with free data service) and it's easy to defeat that just using a signal jammer.

10. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Our Clarities have HondaLink that apparently has a built in low data cell/gps to communicate to Honda servers. I can trigger preconditioning from anywhere when the car is not near me or on any wifi for example. Honda does a poor job marketing this feature (and other amazing things) but they do mention it here as “Stolen Vehicle Locator” if you scroll down to “Convenience at a Touch” section. Built in free LoJack!

https://hondalink.honda.com/#/

11. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

re: https://hondalink.honda.com/#/

I've been confused about what's 'forever' with HondaLink and what turns into a paid feature-set. That site doesn't help.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Honda Tech Support says there is no current subscription for the Clarity and no way to sign up and pay for future subscriptions. I think it’s free for at least the first owner. I worry more about when the complete switch to 5G occurs and leaves our 3 or 4G TCU unable to communicate with Honda’s servers and our Honda Link.

leehinde likes this.
  14. ozy

ozy Active Member

How does the "stolen vehicle locator" feature work? I do not see it appearing on my Hondalink app. In fact, it tells me that if my vehicle is moving it cannot be located. What's the deal with that? If someone has just stolen your car you will want to see exactly where they are even if they're moving. I'm also interested in how easy would it be to steal a Clarity? Can a thief bypass the limitation of not having a keyfob?

15. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I don't look at it as a stolen vehicle feature. We had lojack installed.

16. ozy

ozy Active Member

I had Lojack installed on my Prius and it may be causing some problems with the 12V battery. For some reason the Prius batteries are very susceptible to slow drainage which occur with a number of background electronics (like lojack). I have no idea if lojack was partly responsible but I mention it because a lot of chat groups brought it up as a possible issue. My 12V battery runs out constantly and needs to be jumpstarted several times a year. Buying a new battery delays the issue by a little bit but then it comes back. This may be an issue that's limited to a particular type of car but I know for a fact that lojack does cause a small but continuous drain on the battery for it to do its job.

17. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Lojack has it's own battery. It isn't dependent on the car at all.

Update: Apparently there are models that are self powered and models that tap off the 12V in the car. Ours is self powered. I spoke with the Lojack technician as he installed the Lojack in our Clarity.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019