Level three DC Charging ?

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Jfcrabbit, Nov 26, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Jfcrabbit

Jfcrabbit New Member

Recent purchaser of 2017 Bolt would like to know what is necessary to enable the car for fast DC charging. Dealer is clueless and no help at all. I have ordered the 240 charger but I feel the DC charging will be necessary for any road trips.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

When you open the charge port it will be pretty easy to tell whether the car has DC fast charging or not.

If it is DCFC capable, you will see a removable orange cap about an inch below the standard j1772 port. Take off the cap to find an additional port.

If it is not DCFC capable, there will be no cap or extra port. There will just be a solid piece of molded plastic.

Domenick likes this.
  4. Jfcrabbit

Jfcrabbit New Member

Thank you, I am aware that the car is not DCFC capable. My question is, Can it be converted? Possible cost estimate and can dealer do it?

5. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

Hate to be the bearer of bad news... but there isn’t a way to add DCFC to the existing vehicle.

Eventually there may be a third party solution but not anytime soon.

Im surprised your dealer even had it. Knowledgeable dealers stock very few without DCFC. Only fleets are interested in the base bolt.

HGTZ likes this.
  6. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

I feel the pain. Luckily the car is great even without the DC fast charging. It just can't easily go outside its native range without stopping overnight for a 240 volt charge. Its worth repeating - always buy the DC fast charging.

Domenick and HGTZ like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.