Level 2 Charging Rate?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fizzit, May 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Hi everyone,

I was under the impression the Cooper SE can charge from a level 2 outlet at 7.4kw, but that seems to be incorrect. Today I plugged my car into 2 different public level 2 stations, rated at 7.2kw and 7.4kw respectively, and can't get more than 3.3kw. I checked the owner's manual and it lists the max L2 current as 16A, so 3.3kw should be the max.
    However all the reviews I've seen online and the mini website say it supports 7.4kw level 2 charging. Does anyone have any idea what's up with this discrepancy?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The CHARGE tab on MINI USA website page for the MINI Cooper SE claims the car will charge at up to 7.4 kW:
    upload_2020-5-8_2-31-39.png
    I believe the Owners Manual refers to the 16-Amp Level 2 charging cable that comes with the car in the UK. The final one-sentence paragraph on page 218 of the Owners Manual refers to a charging cable permanently attached to a Level 2 EVSE. No reviewer has encountered a 3.3 kW limit (and I've read many, many reviews). It may be a problem with the EVSEs you've tried. Does your MINI dealer or a friend have an EVSE that you can count on to deliver 7.4 kW?

Level 2 charging cable

The Level 2 charging cable makes it possible to quickly recharge at sockets of designated Level 2 charging stations using a special plug. Charging is performed with alternating current at designated Level 2 charging stations. The charging process can be completed faster than at household sockets. A charge current strength of up to maximum 16 A is possible.

The charging cable may be permanently installed at the charging station.

4. Matt Shumaker

Matt Shumaker Active Member

You can set the charge level in the car for "Fast charging" which is 7.4kw. The default is 3.3kw.

Domenick and insightman like this.
  5. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Yeah, you guys are right. The strange thing is, the "settings charge current" option that shows up when I turn off the car, or go to My mini --> vehicle settings, only lets me adjust the 120V current. To adjust 240V current, I have to press "Menu" then select "plan charging" then "settings charging current" from the drop down. Seems like it should have the same options as the other two but for some reason it doesn't.

SmartElectric likes this.
  6. Matt Shumaker

Matt Shumaker Active Member

Yup. That is BMW for you.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

The PDF Owners Manual is lame for not including this all-important Level 2 charging information. How many people sit in their MINI (or BMW), stepping through every page in the in-car Owners Manual? Why not put all the info online?

Also missing from the PDF Owners Manual is what to do if you run out of battery charge. An InsideEVs video shows the car putting itself in Park. Does the in-car Owners Manual explain how to get a chargeless SE out of Park so it can be pushed a few feet or towed onto a flatbed tow truck?

Forrest Jones in this Forrest's Auto Reviews video on YouTube goes the full measure by running out of charge many feet from the charging station, somehow getting the car out of Park, and then pushing it to the charging station. Unfortunately, he forgets which side of the car has the charging port.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    SmartElectric likes this.
  9. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

You think Level 2 charging in a Mini is frustrating (need to change default to 7 kW, WHY is the default 3 kW ?!)

Fast lane frustrated with DC charging (not due to the car, but the charging networks)

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The MINI UK technical data page shows maximum Level 2 charging as 11kW. Does anyone know if it's worth getting an EVSE that can deliver 11kW. I have to get 240V wiring installed and it shouldn't cost much more to go with a higher-amp circuit.

11. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

11kW would be a European spec car. The north american cars have slower L2 charging. A 30A 240V capable charging station is appropriate for the Mini SE in NA.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

I read an early data sheet last year and switched my 40-Amp EVSE to a 48-Amp EVSE that would support 11kW charging. Later, I was saddened to learn that the MINI Electric requires an EVSE connected to 3-phase AC to do the 11kW charging. Single-phase charging is limited to 7.4kW. Now I have an EVSE with a really thick charging cord and neither of my cars can take advantage of its full capacity.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  14. insightman

You would need at least 31 Amps to achieve the MINI's maximum 7.4kW charging rate (7400W/240V=30.8A). I don't believe there are any 31A EVSEs available, so you'd have to go for a bigger EVSE to save just a few minutes of charging time.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  15. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

Amps or volts, either way, a few more volts than 240V and 30A is fine. Our house consistently shows 243V.

insightman likes this.
  16. Puppethead

Oh so "public charging" must indicate 3-phase. I've been looking for specific technical information, and like most I don't have 3-phase at my house. It looks like a modest increase in charge rate, but maybe I can find out technical specifics from my MINI service department.

17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Virtually nobody in North America has 3-phase at their house - office buildings and industrial facilities would have it. Apartment buildings will invariably have a 3-phase feed into the complex, but individual units won't see all 3.

Having 3-phase in residential is much more common in Europe, however.

US cars have a J-1772 connector - that only supports a single phase of AC. So no matter what, a US car can't do 3-phase charging.

European EVs have a "type 2" or "Mennekes" - it is a slightly larger plug, and it has extra pins to support 3-phase AC.

18. insightman

With 11kW charging filling an SE's discharged battery in 3-1/4 hours (57 km added per hour) vs 4-3/4 hours for 7.4kW charging (39 km added per hour), I consider the difference in charge rate more than modest. I wish the engineers could have accommodated an 11kW single-phase AC EVSE.

Of course, the 260 km added per hour with Level 3 DC charging (going from 18 to 144 km in just 29 minutes) dwarfs those AC numbers.

19. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

20. insightman

21. Puppethead

This was very enlightening, thanks.

Now I know the North American J1772 connector is limited to 1-phase, and the on-board charger in the SE seems limited to 7.4kW AC. This will make choosing an EVSE easier since I have more defined criteria.