Leasing a Kona EV?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by R E Stone, Apr 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. R E Stone

R E Stone New Member

I know its early days yet, but has anyone leased a Kona EV?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yes, I am leasing in USA. The only way I can get any benefit from the federal incentive. Don't have enough income to owe $7500 in taxes. Hyundai Leasing passed through the entire amount to reduce the capitalized cost of the vehicle.

$3000 down (my choice), 36 months, and 12,000 miles per year = 358/month

electriceddy likes this.
  4. R E Stone

R E Stone New Member

Thanks for your reply, Geoff. May I ask the state in which you reside? (I'm a Michigander.)

5. Maine. Not much choice in car trim or color. Was told there were 5 KE's in New England. Don't like the white roof and mirrors that come with the SEL trim, but no hope of getting another vehicle in a timely manner.

Same thing happened with our leased Ford Focus Electric. Went to make the deal and it took 3 months for the vehicle to arrive!

It would be nice if insideevsforum would show Member's location and what EV's they own!

Kitsilano likes this.
  6. nigels

nigels Active Member

I just leased a Kona EV in Massachusetts and picked it up yesterday. It took a lot of calls to dealers before I found one that was willing to talk about leasing a vehicle they were going to have to order. Most dealers wanted to sell what they had available. I wanted an Ultimate in Ceramic Blue with the Pebble Blue interior. The dealer I leased from was fantastic. They found the car I wanted in transit on a ship from Korea. I negotiated a discount based on replacing the Nexen tires, but got that discount and more because the pricing was adjusted at the beginning of May. Note that the lease rates aren't great, and I used a large downpayment to get the monthly cost down. I suspect that Hyundai will eventually come up with better rates, but I wasn't willing to wait. Love the car! It's such an upgrade from my soulless Audi "washing machine" :)

Geoff Marshall and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Did they reduce the capitalized cost by the federal incentive of $7500?

9. nigels

nigels Active Member

Yes, they did. Hyundai Motor Finance is the legal owner of the leased vehicle, so they apply for and get the federal rebate.

Geoff Marshall and electriceddy like this.