Kona nav

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by R P, Aug 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Was using the nav today and later tried to cancel the route. But I couldn't figure out how to do it. Didn't see any cancel button. Only way I could stop it, is by pressing the pause button. I am sure I have done this before, unless I am thinking about my other ICE car. Has something changed with the latest nav software update? I did it recently.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hold the pause button. That will cancel it.

4. Hold the pause button and it will change to cancel the route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Really!!?? Has it always been that way? In fairness, I didn't check the manual,.. does it say that?

6. It's been there since a couple updates. My 2019 didn't have that too begin with and honestly I can't remember (might have never cancelled) how it worked before.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. John2905

John2905 New Member

With Nav on full screen bottom, left corner button offers Cancel Route.

9. persianrider

persianrider Member

just wondering why you guys would even use the native nav and not Waze/Carplay ?

10. Around home I don't need a nav that often, and when I do it is easier to just press that button than plug in my phone to use Android Auto. I do use Waze sometimes on a trip or on the freeway, just to know where the cops are.

11. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

It clutters the console to have a phone stuck up there somewhere that is is visible in some jerry-rigged manner, and then you need a charging cable.

There is also a lot of setup time to get the phone screen unlocked, plugged in, app started, and navigation configured. Plus the phone needs to be plugged in the whole time to keep from running your battery down, and of course it doesn't work if you are in a cell dead zone, *aand* it uses a lot of data.

Android Auto is visually somewhat better, but my experience with that is there is still a lot of setup time each time you get in the car.

Usually when I am driving, the phone is in the wireless charging bay. That's where I like it - clean and uncluttered.

ehatch and R P like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I think the same way, however the setup to get Android Auto going ... Come on, unlocking the screen and plugging in the cable that is there anyways. And then you put it into the charging Bay, which you do anyways, too. So there is literally one step more for you because putting your finger on the finger print reader can't really be considered an extra step ...

14. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

My phone can be incredibly slow - a good 30 seconds to a minute to get the phone unlocked and an app started. It usually takes 3-4 tries for it to register the fingerprint to unlock, and if that fails too many times, it then locks you out for 30 seconds. To avoid that, you have to instead use the "administrative" password.

I don't even have a USB cable in my car since I use the wireless charging bay.

I used Android Auto in a rental a few years back. So there I had to plug in the phone, then find and click on the android auto icon on the car screen, and wait a minute or so for it to load and start doing something useful. Only then can you start actually programming in an actual destination. If all I want is to see where I am, and not program a destination, it isn't worth the trouble. The built-in nav shows that with zero effort.

15. Haha, yeah, but if you saw all the crap in my front charging bay cubby hole, in my cup holders, and under the arm rest you would understand. My wife thinks these are all just extensions of her purse! Who needs 3 pairs of glasses in a car, just within easy arm reach,... and doesn't like to use the overhead glasses case. But no point arguing, as that never ends well...:(

16. Oh definitely! I don't use AA for any in town driving.

I'm surprised your phone even has AA if it needs a minute to just unlock. How can you take a phonecall? Or do you call people back all the time? (Sorry, just kidding, but that's insanely slow and I couldn't live with that )

17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Making phone calls isn't a problem. Those come right up, as I don't need to unlock for that.

The phone is a Galaxy S7 - back in the day it was a top-of-the-line phone. If I am not in a hurry, I can usually unlock fairly quickly. But if I am in a hurry, it just doesn't recognize the fingerprint.

18. Easy... Kona Nav shows on HUD :) I do use CarPlay and Google/Apple maps occasionally but always wander back to Kona Nav. The Kona lady giving directions is more polite too :) Waze I've never been able to get the hang of so it's rarely used (attempted to be used).

Esprit1st and electriceddy like this.
  19. Not on mine, I just checked again. But I did try holding the Pause button on the right side and then it cancelled the route. I think this was a change with the latest software, because I am pretty sure the Cancel button was there before.

When did you last update your nav software?

20. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I just press the VOICE COMMAND Button on the steering wheel and say "CANCEL NAVIGATION". Works every time.

I just hate the LACK of real estate usage on the screen when using anything AA .. If AA & GOOGLE MAPS would actually utilize the entire screen (similar to the KONA NAV), I would probably use it more often .. oh, and lack of APPs that actually are compatible. e.g., Why on earth is there no real default AA MUSIC APP ? If there is one, I have yet to find it. PS - the later versions of some Android phones don't require that USB Cable connection. I think the latest SAMSUNGs don't , for instance.

21. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Personally, I plug my phone in and put it in the little cubby where it plugs in, no need to have it setup.

As for data, well, I have unlimited data, but if I didn't, I could use the offline maps.

22. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Huh? mine uses the entire screen using Android Auto

R P likes this.
  23. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

I use Qi charging so I don't have my type C USB cable connected.ONLY 1 usb port. I run 2 mobiles,one uses mini usb,it's connected for charging.My AA doesn't work,and it's a hassle to per @Esprit1st. I suspect I need to permanently give AA my location,all access to use it.I see contacts, numbers just using bluetooth so there's no benefit to hand Google more data