Is this EV range normal ar summer time ?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Jay777, Aug 4, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jay777

Jay777 New Member

IMG_2953.JPG

Is this Ev range normal in the summertime? The best I got so far is 76km. But normally under 70.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. So much depends on driving habits. The gauge is just an estimate that is calculated based on previous trips.

76km is 47 miles, which is what Honda states as the EV range. I’d say that’s normal.

In warm weather I’ve driven more that 62 miles (100km) in EV. I’ve also driven 40-42 miles in EV in warm weather. The 62 mile range was accomplished in slow traffic, the ~40 mile range was at 70mph. I’d consider both to be normal, given the circumstances.

Sloanhoo likes this.
  4. leafchik

leafchik New Member

What was your average speed and A/C was on?

5. Jay777

Jay777 New Member

Ac is on, I usually run high way. Speed around 100km/hour.

6. leafchik

leafchik New Member

Then this is normal. Fully electric version with 25.5 kWh battery run only 120 km (watch highway range) https://ecarsrange.com/honda-clarity-electric/

Your car has 17 kWh battery and because of petrol engine weighs more.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Clarity Electric weighs 4024 lbs.
    Clarity PHEV weighs 4052 lbs.

That extra 8.5kWh’s of battery capacity must weigh the same as the petrol engine.

turtleturtle likes this.
  9. Jay777

Jay777 New Member

Good to know
    Thank you
    My next one probably gonna be Tesla or something has more EV range

10. TomL

TomL Active Member

My experience is identical to Landshark, except my all time high EV SOC is 66.

11. leafchik

leafchik New Member

OMG, sorry my mistake. What was Honda thinking, when produce car with such small range in 2019 o_O

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. There must be someone who can rationalize the decision.

Honda did come to their senses and discontinue the model after 2 years of production.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

While I protest anyone calling the Clarity PHEV a "compliance car," I believe that is exactly what the Clarity Electric was. However, although the range was small, the deal was pretty good, so if 89 miles of range worked for you (or you fell in love with the Clarity Electric's "hero" color, Vortex Blue Pearl), it was a pretty nice ride, unlike some much more Spartan "compliance cars."

15. gedwin

gedwin Member

For what it is worth, I've had my Clarity for almost one year now, and driving 10,000 miles. I have not been extensively collecting data (each red plus is an actual charging result I recorded), and I have a gap from this spring in not driving much at all due to COVID-19. That said, for upstate NY, I think the fit represented by the blue line is actually pretty accurate on what to expect each month. In these warm summer months, I routinely get a range of 54-58 miles, and the coldest winter months, this drops to about 32-35 miles. Agree with previous posts that results will vary greatly depending on the nature of driving and climate settings, but hopefully this gives some insight as to what is possible.
    Graph0.png

16. I once considered protesting protesters, until I saw the irony.

We all know that the PHEV is spawn of the Fuel Cell Vehicle and probably an idea that was hatched at the water cooler after the smoke filled room cleared where the BEV meeting was held. Can’t you just see the one engineer in the back of the room douse his cigarette, exhale a puff of smoke out the side of his mouth and reach into his pocket protector and start jotting down notes and making drawings in the middle of the PowerPoint presentation of how it would all become a reality?

If your theory is correct, one thing is certain. Peculiar rules breed peculiar vehicles.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    insightman likes this.
  17. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

To the OP. Yep, that can be normal. I happen to live on a hill (think significant and steep). My range has always been at least 20% lower (maybe more) than basically everyone on this forum. Car runs great, and I love it. I quit worrying about my electric range.
    And yep, this means in the winter time I do have to burn some gas. But my trips to the gas station have never been fewer. So if I burn like 5 miles of HV range a day in the winter, it means I need gas like once every two months or something. I'm OK with that.

It used to really upset me that I never saw the range others do. I thought my car was defective or something. As others mention, there are other factors that effect range. My best summer reading (ever) is what you see. In summer, I typically see about 20% lower than what you do. Every once in a long while, the stars and planets align and I get 47mi estimate EV, but so rare I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen that.

In my specific case I paid the dealers hourly rate to read the traction battery measurement to convince myself not damaged. After that I came to realize living on a hill has a bigger impact on both estimated and real EV range than I'd of guessed.

18. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Moving from the Fit EV, Honda kicked in $1K towards the $1,400 down. Oregon wrote us a check for $2,500. Get to use the Clarity Elecric for 3 years (up to 60K miles) for a grand total of $4,865 or ~ $135/mo. Service is tire rotations and cabin air filters (which I do myself).
    Would more than 89 miles be better? You betcha. But for a commuter car it works great. And, when we doing such things, our trips to Chicago, CA or wherever did not requie a stop to charge (but PDX does have free L1 in their economy lots we used when available).
    They allowed Fit EV lessees to extend at a lower rate. Will look at options when the time comes.
    When the PHEV was only available in CA, it very much fit the compliance car definition. Clarity Electric was the epitome of a compliance car, as was the Fit EV before it.

insightman likes this.
  19. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

In NJ, with almost all my driving involves suburban and highway driving, I rarely get more than 50 in the summer - Typically 48-50. I think the highest I got was 52.

Winter however, will bring it down to 30-32.

20. It's been really HOT in E TN recently. While last summer I routinely saw 50-54 miles predicted EV range, this summer I'm struggling to hit 50.

The biggest factor is sitting with the air conditioner on. I do a fair amount of that while my wife is shopping. Recently we were doing yard work at a relative's and retreated to the Clarity to cool off about 10 minutes at a time. That knocked our next EV range estimate down to 42 miles. Latest is 44 miles, but I think its still factoring in that last unusual usage case.

Also, lots of rolling hills around here, which to a lesser extent take their toll - regen is great, but never 100% efficient.

21. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

I never had drops in EV due to running the AC while driving. But of course sitting inside the car with the AC on will produce a drop in EV range. This is a new norm today, if we are waiting for someone while shopping or eat in the car after drive thru or curbside pickup.

22. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

I’m with you. All time high (well, admittedly I’ve only owned the car for a month) is 65.6 miles.
    7AF0928E-0F45-48BF-8DDF-367F20829A1B.jpeg

TomL likes this.
  23. I recently had some insight into how the predicted EV miles algorithm works in the Clarity.

A week ago, on a whim, Karen and I loaded up the dogs and headed for the Cherohala Skyway. It’s a wonderful, scenic and twisty road that runs from Tellico Plains, TN to near Robbinsville, NC.

[​IMG]

We drove about 2/3 of it from Tellico Plains, gaining roughly 4,000’ in about 20 miles. The bees got a bit restless, but that’s to be expected.

We timed it just right to view a spectacular sunset. After the obligatory photos, we descend back down the 4,000’ towards home, picking up just over 20 EV miles on the way down (11 to 33). My assumption was that next drive our EV range might suffer, what with the long climb and all not quite being canceled by the descent miles gained.

I assumed wrong! The following day showed 67 estimated EV miles, best I’ve ever seen. My thinking is that the car averages out the last several drives, but must more heavily “weight” the very last drive.

Also an excuse to show off some pretty decent iPhone photos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]