Is regen in effect when accelerator is stepped on under sport mode and regen is turned on?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by bigbug, May 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. bigbug

bigbug Member

Common sense is the regen should be disengaged when petal is down in sport mode while the regen is turned on. Otherwise the regen braking and acceleration would be fighting against each other. But I am not 100% sure. Anyone familiar with the mechanics behind it?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. dnb

dnb Active Member

What do you mean by the pedal is down?

The regen is always disabled when you are accelerating. But the default small amount of regen when coasting is still there while in sport mode, it doesn't let you coast as much as you would in neutral in a manual car.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In any mode, the regen takes over as you lift off the accelerator pedal. Watch the POWER/CHARGE Gauge to see how it works.

4sallypat likes this.
  5. bigbug

bigbug Member

When you step on the pedal and accelerate

6. bigbug

bigbug Member

In Sports Mode when regen is on, I can feel more drags to accelerate the car.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

If you use the left paddle to increase the regen in SPORT Mode, that level of regen will remain in effect until you use the right paddle to decrease the regen. So if you set the regen level to 4 chevrons (3 pulls on the left paddle) you will feel much more regen braking when you lift off the accelerator pedal. However, no regen is occurring while you're pressing on the accelerator pedal, no matter what mode you're in or how many chevrons appear on the Driver Information Interface.

Even in HV CHARGE, your Clarity is not using regen braking when the accelerator pedal is depressed. Instead, some of the power produced by the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE)--driving the starter motor/generator--is diverted from the traction motor to recharge the battery.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    KentuckyKen likes this.
  9. Chuck

Chuck Member

If you are at full-regen if you press the accelerator a little bit the regen is reduced but is still active. As you press more you eventually get to the point of coasting. As you press more you start accelerating and consuming power. It is very easy to see on the display. From there you can also pretty easily tell if you push the brakes hard enough to go past max regen and enter 'dark lord of the Sith' area of friction brakes.

LegoZ and thecompdude like this.
  10. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    ^ What Chuck said.

11. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I think @insightman got it right. At no time are regen and forward motive force by the electric motor in opposition not only from a common sense point but also from a engineering point. Isn’t it the engine that normally produces the regen? If that’s true then isn’t it safe to say it can’t do both at the same time?

I think if you’re already in the green part of the Power Meter and regenning, that the light press on the pedal that starts to bring it up to the “neutral” mark is just a reduction in regen and not power opposing regen. Then when you go past that mark it’s all power and no regen. Just my 2 cents. I’ve not seen any official Honda source that addresses this.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

It's the traction motor that performs regen braking and, as you say, it can't both consume power and generate power at the same time. However, I'll concede that it's possible to reduce the amount of regen braking by pressing the accelerator pedal lightly enough so as not to turn the traction motor from a generator to a motor. My original point was that there is no regen drag while the traction motor is turning the wheels and the POWER/CHARGE Gauge is in positive territory.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    LegoZ likes this.
  14. I did a test of time to 60 mph using each mode. TLDR version: no significant difference in full throttle acceleration.

15. insightman

But to address the OP's concerns, did you do a SPORT Mode run with 4 chevrons of regen dialed in (er, paddled in)? I'm certain you would have seen no difference.

16. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I think you are spot on.

17. Nope. Never occurred to be since I assumed as you did.

18. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

The accelerator pedal is just mapped in such a way that the transition from regen to freewheeling to adding momentum is in the early point of travel of the pedal. The electric motor-generator can act like either a generator or motor or do nothing. If you supply electricity it will spin the shaft. If you spin the shaft it will generate electricity. It cannot be both motor and a generator at the same time because that would mean it could power itself. That would make it a perpetual motion device which is a violation of the laws of thermodynamics and physics which in turn can completely tear the fabric of space and implode the universe. Honda would never do that as that would negatively impact sales.

Sandroad and KentuckyKen like this.
  19. Weirdly, that actually did happen to me once.

The only thing odd was that when I came out on the other side, I had turned into a newt.

4sallypat and Sandroad like this.
  20. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

(British accent) But I got better...

B00CEE59-3A7D-4CBC-91DD-8F8106605C26.gif

21. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

Sorry to disagree, I drive only in sport and max regain and there is no more drag than econ. The difference is at full regain when you take your foot off the "gas" you are at full regain as soon as you take your foot off. BTW I am still at 70empg on the guess o meter driving that way.

22. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

If you give it EXTREMELY light and constant throttle and click the pedal (basically in what would be almost coasting) you will feel and increase in regen. At this point the extreme top of the range of the pedal will modulate the amount of regeneration you will get much like a full ev like the Kia Soul EV in B mode. This happens even in Econ. To see this affect you must pay extremely close attention to the feel of the car as it is still fairly subtle and maintain tight control on the throttle.