Idiotic question about CA DMV's applicn for clean air decal

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ozy, Jan 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ozy

ozy Active Member

So I'm filling in the form for the CA DMV "Application for clean air vehicle decals" (I think it's also known as the reg1000). They are asking some questions about the Clarity plug in which I find confusing. First issue, is whether the car is a TZEV or a SULEV. I'm pretty sure that TZEV is the correct answer (here is the screenshot from the CARB website):

upload_2019-1-24_18-5-34.png

However, if you click the link on the far right it takes you to the Honda documents for this car, that clearly uses the term "Sulev"

upload_2019-1-24_18-8-51.png
    Therefore, not sure whether to pick SULEV or TZEV in the application form:
    upload_2019-1-24_18-9-26.png
    Next issue: They ask what the "motive power is" for the car. Not sure whether or not this would be "Electric" or "Plug-in Hybrid". When I google, I get many references to Clarity's "electromotive power". However, it is technically a plug-in hybrid, No?
    upload_2019-1-24_18-10-32.png
    You can pretty much guarantee that if you get any one of these wrong, you are not getting your all-important stickers!!! Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Oz

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Cali65

Cali65 Member

Teamchang likes this.
  4. ozy

ozy Active Member

Thanks. That's what I was going to do but just wanted to be real sure. I sure need those stickers.

5. occphv

occphv New Member

That’s what I have as well, TZEV and Plug-in hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

9. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

Did you ever get yours? I applied on Jan 1st. The check hasn't been cashed and nothing has come in the mail yet.

I read that they throw away all of the incoming applications not sent by registered mail, to lighten their workload.

I sent mine via regular mail prior to reading this.

This can't possibly be true, can it?

Anyone get their purple stickers yet? Use regular or registered mail for the app?

10. Cali65

Cali65 Member

Haven't received anything yet either and check has not been cashed either.
    I believe it is taking almost 3 months or so to get atm from what I have read online somewhere.
    Have no clue if the registered mail thing is true..........registered mail is not required so I assume majority of applications are sent regular mail.

11. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

I saw on a Tesla forum that some ridiculous % of applicants via normal mail had their apps "lost" after calling to check on their status. It also showed that not 1 disappeared via registered mail.

One poster knew of some Gov worker somewhere pitching mail to be lazy and speculated it in this situation as well.

I find it hard to believe, as it's a gigantic hassle if they get caught. Also, no one will give up. They aren't reducing the work, only delaying it:)

It sounds like a Seinfeld plot, but I wish that I had sent it registered to be safe after seeing the post in the forum.

Maybe I'll start one here to see how long it's taking to get the sticker here in Ca?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

sent mine end of October received sticker end of November used regular mail. had I known about purple sticker I would have waited couple months and applied in January. But to answer your question turnaround time was 30 days back in October. Maybe the Tesla model 3 surge in application is the reason for the current delay.

14. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Glad to hear 30 days is about the turnaround time.
    Still waiting for my purple HOV stickers....

15. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

That was before the beginning of the year flood for the purple stickers . We will be waiting a loooooong while, I fear.

Why we could do it online and get it automatically sent to us is baffling.

Having pensioner workers opening and reading 10's of 1,000s of envelopes is inexcusable.
    Couldnt they instantly give us the approval, which we could take to a print shop (online of course) and have them in a week?

Just make fraud (fake stickers) a $10,000 fine and your car impounded. They are already for sale on eBay, so anyone who wants to cheat already can.

4sallypat likes this.
  16. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

This is scary!
    Didn't know you can get bogus stickers on eBay - that makes sense because I saw a red stickered car in the HOV lane that was a Chevy Malibu.

Funny with all the money paid to DMV workers, they still can't get out of the 20th century - manual forms, long lines, in person visits, etc...

At least the state CVRP and local utility companies were easy to apply online - scan the forms and attach - how easy peasy is that ??

17. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

18. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

19. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

On a Malibu? That is idiotic, unless they did a diy ev conversion , which is possible I suppose.

20. occphv

occphv New Member

The funny thing is, they (DMV) can let dealer and carmax to print/generate/stock temporary license plate/paper and provide to owners (just in case you don't know, this is the new law in California since 2019) but they can't give you the silly HOV decals... smh

4sallypat likes this.
  21. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

I'll admit- I've been tempted to throw a bootleg sticker on my Clarity. In the end, I was too cheap to pay 50 bucks to a bootlegger. Plus my fear of getting caught:)

4sallypat likes this.
  22. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

I think we should report this to our local TV news stations and see if they will do a piece on the use of bogus HOV stickers and lack of enforcement ???

23. occphv

occphv New Member

This is not good :(