ICEd charging spots

Discussion in 'General' started by TRSmith, Aug 18, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

I haven't seen a thread on ICEd charging spots lately, so please forgive me if I'm wrong.

I'm new to EVs, having bought my first last month. I see non-charging vehicles in EV charging spots all the time, although luckily it's never prevented me from charging.

What are people's thoughts on this? Just a few things I'm thinking about:

- If you can still charge, should you do something about the occupied spots?
    - If you should do something, do you just try to find the driver of the car? Or do you immediately call someone to have it towed?
    - What if it's preventing you from charging?

Separately, the signage situation is a mess. Signs should make clear that the spots are for EV charging only and the consequence of breaking that rule.

Also: Signs should say what EV drivers should do if the spots are blocked. I've never seen a sign clearly state who should be called -- e.g., the property owner or the company that operates the equipment. I also can't find any information about this in the apps or websites of any of the big charging companies.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

So, here is what I tend to do:
    • If it is not preventing me from charging, as there is another legal space available that the cable will reach
      • I will leave a polite note on the windshield that lets them know that they were possibly preventing someone from getting home to their family because they were blocking what is essentially a gas pump for electric vehicles.
      • I will also report it to security (if there is any)
      • If I see them returning to their vehicle, I will also politely let them know.
        • The only ones that tend to get rude about this are the ones who drive electric vehicles and decide not to charge, thus blocking the spot and potentially preventing someone else from charging. Remember these aren't "clean air vehicle" spaces, those exist too, but these are spaces for while you are charging only.
    • If I can still charge, but no legal space is available and I really need a charge, I will do what it takes, such as:
      • Parking on a cross walk, even if that means blocking their door so they cannot enter their vehicle
      • If possible, I will ask the applicable store to make an announcement asking them to move
      • Using my J-1772 Extension cord and if necessary blocking their vehicle from being able to leave
      • Reporting the issue to security
    • If I cannot charge and I cannot make it to another charger
      • If possible, I will ask the applicable store to make an announcement asking them to move
      • Report to security
      • If nothing is done about it, as a last resort report it to the police (this step is usually required in most cities) and call a tow truck and have their vehicle impounded. Of course make sure you have the legal authority to do this in whatever location you are in.
    Overall though, most places have been adding green signs that clearly state Electric Vehicle Parking Only while Charging and this has helped a lot. Another thing that helps a lot is when they paint the charging spaces with green stripes and put a logo that says EV charging only in the space.

One issue that does come up is when an EV Station is in a handicap space, do you have to have a handicap placard to use said charger? And if you have a handicap placard are you allowed to use the space without charging? Some places get around this by putting a sign that says for disabled, use last, but most don't do this. The other issue is when the chargers are next to handicap spaces, you get people with handicap placards trying to use the spaces as handicap spaces and not charging. This is the place where things get tricky.

4. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Well, it is following the rules, it is an electric vehicle and it is indeed charging. I think technically it should be closer to the side walk so it is fully within the cross hatched area, but other than that I think it has every right to be there. Although, it does give new meaning to the term.

5. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

About 6 weeks ago I visited a CA state park that has an EV charging station. I would have loved to charge while going for a short hike -- didn't absolutely need it to get home, but it would have been nice -- but an ICE car was sitting in the spot when I arrived, and still there when I left. I asked the ranger at the desk if he'd get a ticket or warning -- they rather aggressively put warning notes on cars otherwise parked improperly -- and he sort of shrugged and said, "I don't think so."

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I would have pushed him to do his job and if not reported him to his supervisor. Of course in California you can now call a tow truck and have them towed as well.

But this is precisely why I have a EV extension cord, plug into it and plug it into the car and adds about 25' to the cable and does so safely be cause it is designed for Level 2 chargers

Urbanengineer likes this.
  8. pictsidhe, mho, scooter and 1 other person like this.
  9. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

Lol. People will surely take things literally or logically, whatever they would benefit.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Most of it is just people who don’t understand what the infrastructure is or think that it’s not a big deal for them to be there for a few minutes because they assume it gets barely used so it’s fine. This issue will resolve itself when more people drive EVs

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

EV parking should be treated like handicapped spots. The signage should clearly indicate that non EVs parked in the spot will be subject to ticketing or towing at the owner's expense. I suspect that most of those who ICE EV parking spots are expressing their hostile feelings towards EVs.

13. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

No. I bet most don’t even think about it. They just see an open spot and take it.

Urbanengineer likes this.
  14. Technically, until the signs are corrected, the dude has every right to park there. ;)

mho likes this.
  15. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

Very true for most scenarios. People are too busy, becoming more insensitive.

16. Picture from Munich, shows mincemeat stuffed in the connectors:
    [​IMG]

One might expect this in Hamburg, not so much in Munich :rolleyes:

mho, scooter, ericy and 1 other person like this.
  17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

That's just weird - probably kids. Someone went to the trouble to go out and buy the stuff just to make a mess.

I have seen arguments that the charger handle should be locked until you validate with an app or RFID card. Which would prevent this sort of thing, but make plug-and-charge impossible.

turtleturtle likes this.
  18. Earl

Earl Active Member

Looks like an overzealous reaction to overzealous vegetarians and vegans who try to outlaw everything they don't like -- in particular: gas cars and meat. The presumption being that this obnoxious and dividing element of society are the ones who drive EVs.
    I've noticed that, in general, ICING has become far less prevalent as more EVs show up on the road. In the early days, ICE drivers used to get frustrated seeing EV parking spaces that were always empty and, unfortunately, usually in prime parking locations.

19. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Quite a few charging spots are anything but "prime parking". There are plenty off in some obscure corner
    of a parking lot, far away from the commercial resources, or next to the dumpster cage or other less
    desireable location. Definitely second-class treatment, even if it makes icing a little less likely.

_H*

Scrambler and bwilson4web like this.
  20. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Sometimes it is also out of necessity. I stayed at a sold out Hilton in a beach resort area last year. Not a single parking spot open at night. They probably had 8 Tesla charging spots all up front. Every one with a gas car parked in it. While I find people purposely parking in EV spots wrong, I understood why they did so at that hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

I get the joke but there is no reason for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

electriceddy likes this.
  22. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Well at least they didn’t prep it in their gut. So now we know where the diesel fraud coders went.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy likes this.