I had my windows tilted

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JulianClarity, Jan 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JulianClarity

JulianClarity Active Member

As a byproduct of putting a film on the trunk glass, now it is almost impossible to see through from outside.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

4. JulianClarity

I put 80% in the front, 20% in the back wind shield and the door windows, 5% on the trunk, it is perfect. I will see if I need to tilt my front wind shield as well.

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Wow, how much more aerodynamic did the tilted windows make it. Any gain in MPG(e)?? Just kidding.

I put on ceramic IR (heat) reflecting tint and found it was worth the extra price. The car has a lot of front and rear glass that makes it a real greenhouse. The ceramic tint made a noticeable difference in heat gain.

I put 20% VLT on the rear and 30% on the sides (min allowed in my area on front passenger windows)
    I also put the clearest ceramic heat reflecting film on the front windshield because there’s a lot of almost horizontal glass there. I think it is 80% VLT which was the clearest they had. It’s not noticeable. Be sure to check ky your applicable law, as not all states or municipalities allow this.

Between the ceramic IR reflecting tint, the white interior, and our powerful electric AC, my Clarity goes to arctic conditions almost immediately even when parked in the sun. No need to open the windows for a minute to let any oven like temps out like I had to do on precious cars. Even on sunny days in the 90s, I can run the fan on its next to lowest setting after 1 min on medium and be quite cool.
    I’m also glad that with this set up I'm not seeing a meaningful range hit with the AC set at 72 F and I I like it cold.

6. JulianClarity

Lol, I just noticed what I put in my post, but I have no way to edit it now....
    The ceramic film is very expensive, but worthy of the money. In CA, the front wind shield has to be 90%+, 80%+ for the front and no restrictions for the rest. Most people put darker films in the front, but I don't want to break the law.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. RV-CAR

RV-CAR New Member

I am planning to get windows tinted. Not sure if i should get the windshield and trunk glass tinted.

Local CA dealers are offering Llumar and Rayno S5.
    Any recommendations on which one is good?

9. KentuckyKen

I had mine tinted right after purchase. I suggest you pay extra to get a ceramic infra-red/heat reflecting film. There is a lot of almost horizontal glass on the windshield and rear window that creates quite a greenhouse effect. I found that the heat reflecting ceramic film made a big difference in heat gain last summer and reduced my AC usage which helped my EV range. I had the windshield tinted in as close to clear as they had; I think it was around 80 or 90% VLT and no passenger has even noticed it was tinted. (Check your local and state laws to see what’s legal in your location).
    I didn’t tint the small bottom rear window since it’s already tinted and it’s vertical so it doesn’t contribute to the heat gain. Some people tint it to make it harder to see what’s in the trunk.

It was definitely worth it to me to upgrade to the ceramic or heat reflecting film. The only downside was that at night, headlights viewed through the rear window tint have vertical lines due to the angle of the glass and the film bending slightly as it goes over the defrost wires. It doesn’t bother me but I thought I would mention it.

10. RV-CAR

RV-CAR New Member

Thank you for the info. Could you share the brand of tint you got?

11. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Does tinting reduce the amount of heat gain in the winter too? I would guess so. That would be a negative to me.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

The brand is Wincos. I went with that because the tint shop had a very convincing display with a heat lamp and a sliding pane of auto glass, plain and tinted with the Wincos ceramic film. It was very dramatic how you hardly felt the heat with the tinted glass vs the plain glass.
    However, I suspect any quality ceramic film that has IR/heat reflecting properties will do the job.

Omgswify likes this.
  14. James123

James123 New Member

Did you remove the original tint on the trunk glass before putting on the darker film? Or was the darker film installed on top of the original tinted glass?

15. vin seeram

vin seeram Member

I am thinking of getting 35% for the side windows and the rear with a good IR blocking film. I will leave the windshield alone. What would be a reasonable price I should expect to pay ?