Hyundai Ioniq: Availability outside California?

Discussion in 'Hyundai IONIQ Electric' started by interestedinEV, Aug 20, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Anyone has any insights into what Hyundai wants to do with this and other EVs? Is it just a compliance car or is Hyundai serious enough to want to get into other markets? If so when? So far it is only available in California.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  4. jeff10236

jeff10236 Member

Today I saw the Ioniq EV on a dealer lot for the first time. I stop by from time to time out of curiosity, and this time around the dealer lot I drove through had 5 or 6 EVs. I'm in Maryland.

5. jim

jim Active Member

I'd say it's just another COMPLIANCE car like all of the others. In Arizona they give you a $50 gift card for test driving the IONIQ. But they don't have any Electric or even Plugin Electrics that they sell in this area. The sales numbers tell the story and they aren't making many. The IONIQ Doesn't have liquid cooling in the Battery Thermal Management !!!

Their sister company KIA makes the SOUL EV. They also won't sell that in Arizona so a group of us bough them on line in California and had them shipped to Arizona in the greater Phoenix area. All 10 in our area had batteries that failed. Ours also shut down twice in rush hour traffic on 2 HOT days in a row when my wife was using it. I reported it and got a safety warning issued with the NTSB. It took them over 1 month to fix/replace the battery. They had no idea what to do about the over heating of the controller. I turned mine in 6 month early since it was so bad.