Hyundai Ioniq 5 spy shots

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Domenick, Jul 1, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The Hyundai 45 Concept got the production green light and are already on the roads. It will be called the Ioniq 5 in production. This thread is to collect shots and reports of it as it progresses along, first with lots of camouflage and, if it follows the typical trend, with less.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    MichaelC likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. How is this a significant change from the Kona? Looks a bit bigger, but not a lot.

Is it designed as an EV rather than a ICE with an EV powerplant?

Edit: Yes it is ground up EV, so roomier. It also is expected to have dual electric motors. There is some puzzlement over whether it will compete with the Kona EV. Google was my friend.

https://carbuzz.com/news/our-best-look-yet-at-the-2021-hyundai-45-ev

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/06/2021-hyundai-45-ev-what-itll-look-like-powetrain-everything-else-we-know/

Domenick likes this.
  4. This, and pretty much all of the electric vehicles coming from Hyundai Group, will be based on the Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP)

5. To remove this ad click here.

6. I suspect the batteries will be manufactured by SK Innovation using NCM 811 tech, not LG like Kona EV.
    It will be interesting to see when they come out if the motor design is different as well.
    Looks like it will have more interior space than Kona EV

mho and Domenick like this.
  7. Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  8. I imagine they've each developed their own resource supply chains, so it's not exactly the same well. It's kind of silly, though. Pretty sure they both have plenty of customers/orders to deal with for the foreseeable future. Be nice if they can get back to dealing with that ASAP.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Domenick likes this.
  10. To remove this ad click here.

11. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

You were correct! Looks like the IONIQ 5 will indeed use SK Innovation NCM 811 cells, according to this Korean news article. But Hyundai plans to use LG cells for the IONIQ 6. The IONIQ 7 will be getting NCM "9-1/2-1/2" (90% nickel) cells from one of these companies.

Those reservation dates were from the Austrian Hyundai site, with only 150 available. We've yet to see reservations open for any other countries/regions.

Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  12. Found some interesting spy shots on a Korean forum. The parking lights are on, so you can see how those look a bit. I especially like the front lights. Also, note that this vehicle has traditional mirrors (I'll have shots showing camera mirrors in a post below). There's also a grainy pic of the interior, which shows (I think) three screens.

hyundai Ioniq 5 spy 1.jpg

hyundai Ioniq 5 spy 2.jpg

hyundai Ioniq 5 spy interior.jpg

13. The Korean Car Blog (KCB) had a shot of an Ioniq 5 wearing the camera mirrors. In the comments on another site, I found a closeup of the camera mirror itself. Seems a lot larger than need be, unless I'm missing something.

hyundai-ioniq-5-1.jpg
    hyundai Ioniq 5 spy mirror 1.jpg

electriceddy likes this.
  14. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

I recall those close-up pics and to me that appears to be a prototype version (hence the extra large size), while the first picture from KCB shows the closer to production version.

Domenick likes this.
  15. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

Here's another spy shot showing the interior of the IONIQ 5 showing the large dual screen configuration (Source).
    [​IMG]

I'm really hoping that Hyundai doesn't follow some of the other manufacturers and go with touch controls for everything. I really need my tactile buttons and switches!

Domenick likes this.
  16. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

Recently posted video by a Korean EV blogger showing an up close look at a camouflaged IONIQ 5 at one of Hyundai's new charging stations. Footage of the IONIQ 5 begins at the 4:32 mark. This is the closest look yet of the production car, better than those spy shots taken on the road and gives a true sense of the size of the car relative to people. The rear passenger windows are quite long, implying a significant amount of rear passenger space. I wish the camera looked inside the car, but it's likely that the Hyundai rep prevented footage of the interior from being shown until more official images are released.

The video also shows the flush door handles, and I also noticed this car has a different set of aero rims, not the "propeller" wheels that have been shown on all previous spy shots and the official Hyundai teaser images.

Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  17. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

I saw that one, but I'm not putting much stock in the info. Seems to be fake, as a legitimate Hyundai presentation on the IONIQ 5 would not be showing the 45 Concept car. Plus the spy shots of the interior seem to suggest an extended display screen that is much longer than 12.3"

18. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

Should add that some of the other info in that alleged dealer presentation leak seem to be ideas read into Hyundai's official E-GMP presentation, such as the completely reclining seats and the mobile console (seen starting at the 9:58 mark in the video). The "Head Up Display 44" with augmented reality" is taken from Hyundai 45 concept videos like this one (see the 0:25 mark): www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBzLDe5qK2s

19. This video is great! I'm a bit late seeing it, but I actually like it for the Hyundai charging stations. I think InsideEVs is going to use it for a post.

Kendalf likes this.
  20. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

I like this car vlogger who made this video. Quite the personality, and it was funny when he tried to open the door and trunk of the Ioniq 5 without permission. Really helpful that he added an English translation into his video.

Domenick likes this.