how long does it take with a level 1 charger?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JulianClarity, Mar 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JulianClarity

JulianClarity Active Member

I set it to start at 8pm when my off peak rate starts, but when I leave home at around 9am, it shows only 85%, which means I probably will need another 2hours to get a full charge. Do you have the same problem? Do you know why?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Just as a data point ... I plugged in last night at approximately 6PM with the supplied Level 1 charger. I had 3 miles of EV left when I rolled in. HondaLink reported that charging stopped at 4:32AM. This morning the App was showing 99% charge. (Which is common, not sure why I seldom get to 100%, but not something I'm concerned with either.)

4. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Something is amiss. It doesn't take 13 hours to charge the Clarity to full from empty with a level 1 charger, let alone to only 85%. Do you accidentally have a second timer somewhere set for charging at specific times? Is the circuit you are using busy doing other things? It is supplying a full 12.7A? Is the Clarity in an extremely cold location? If none of those are an issue, there may be a problem with the OEM charger?

5. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

It is possible a charge can take longer. Some of the things that can slow things down:
    • Battery temperature
    • Ambient temperature
    • Plug temperature high (this might happen with poor wiring)
    • Old house wiring
    • Voltage lower than 120, maybe 110
    I am sure there are other reasons but I would let it go 14 hours and see if you get 99% or 100%. The Clarity rounds down and will stop between 99% and 100%. So 99% or 100% is normal.

Please report back. All information is useful in learning about our cars.

6. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Mowcowbell likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. izudin

izudin Member

MA
    Are you sure it is charged only to 85%?
    If you are checking the SOC using HondAlink app, keep in mind that it updates in 15% increments, so event though it shows 85%, actual SOC could be anything between 85% and 100%. If that is the case, try "Locate My Vehicle" from the app, which should update COS to the current (actual) value.

live2learn likes this.
  9. Mariner91

Mariner91 Member

1) The 85% is misleading - or at least not a complete report, as this is likely a data point from the App which only ticks off every 15% (or so). Part of the reading should have been When that 85% was reached, which could be as far as 3 hours prior.

2) Though I have never gone from "0%" to 100%, I do know that from personal experience, it takes about 7 hours (to when the app reaches 100%) to from 45/48%-100%. Car is set to charge from 11 PM, and doesn't usually hit max until after 6 Am next day.

10. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Using the Honda OEM L1 charger, I get about 12 hours to full charge from near empty.
    Using the Duosida dual voltage charger in L1, I get about 9 hours to full charge from near empty.

The Duosida dual voltage was a perfect buy to go from either 240 or 120 V sources using multiple plug adapters.
    Since it pulls more current than the Honda OEM by around 25%, it charges quicker too...

Great for our upcoming trip to RV parks where they have 240V sources as well as motels with 208/120V....

11. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

For those considering a 16A L1 EVSE like mentioned above:
    To use it safely, it must be plugged into a 20A circuit, and it must be the only device on that circuit.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bill_m

bill_m Member

And the ambient temperature was ??

14. JulianClarity

Thank you guys!
    The only thing could apply to my case seems to be the voltage, let me measure it later.
    My hondalink app shows 85%, when I start the car, it gives me around 48.9 EV range, but it drops quickly during the first few miles.
    Likely it is close to 45 miles range, it definitely takes longer than 12 hours to charge.

15. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Whew! I think the problem is the app and not the Clarity. The app is very imprecise and doesn't update very well. I'll bet the car shows full bars on the left side EV bar scale and you're actually full (or very very close to full) after your 13 hour charge.

16. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

And the range estimate WILL "drop quickly" if you are in a cold area and running the heat to warm up a cold-soaked cabin.

I estimate I lose about 2 miles of range from the initial heating (and then about 10% after that), and that's starting out from a 40-50 degree garage.

BTW, I charge on Level 1 and seem to take about 12 hours (I also drain to near-zero every day I commute). I'm not sure of the actual end times as I don't know if the app alerts sound immediately when my phone is asleep (and so am I). The end times seem to be suspiciously close to when I first get up and pick up my phone each time.

17. JulianClarity

Today, it took a little longer than 12.5hours.

18. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

For the first time, I ran the car down to the point that it told me I had zero miles and 2 bars of battery. Took about 12 hours to charge with OEM cord according to HondaLink.