Hondalink connection problems

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Cycledawg, Nov 18, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cycledawg

Cycledawg Member

Does anyone else have this problem?
    I connect my phone LG G7Thinq via Bluetooth and the messages work and the calls work fine.
    When I click on the hondalink on my head unit, sometimes it works and sometimes it says connection needed. However, hondalink is on my phone and it connects to my car...I can send climate control commands and get the EVrange and gas range.
    I have tried rebooting the head unit and again sometimes it works and sometimesit doesn't. Anyone have any ideas? I have uninstalled the hondalink app and reconnected...I have rebooted and reconnected the phone. It doesn't seem to help...these periodic problems are the hardest to solve. Again, sometimes it works and sometimes it says it needs a connection. Any ideas?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. blastfurnace

blastfurnace Member

I have the same issue on my iPhone 7. I can almost never get HondaLink to work from the info center on the car unless it is in my driveway and on my home wifi.

4. Cycledawg

Cycledawg Member

I read somewhere that turning the Bluetooth on and off in the phone seems to work. Thus far, this technique has worked.

5. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

On my One+6T running Android 9, HondaLink would not run properly, starting just a few days ago. The error message was "Something went wrong."

I tried the tricks listed above to no avail, but eventually went to the Google Play Store, searched for the HondaLink app, and despite having automatic updates enabled, was informed that the app needed to be updated for an update dated 11/16, downloaded and installed the update, and it now works normally again!

"Something went wrong." How helpful is that error message?

6. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Working in IT, I see those types of basically meaningless error messages all the time in Windows. Luckily, I can google most of those and figure out what REALLY is wrong. But with Hondalink, you're just left wondering... it's a good thing Hondalink is free as I would never pay for something that appears to be in BETA form.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Lowell_Greenberg

Lowell_Greenberg Active Member

In Android, it would help if you clear the application cache.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9. Cycledawg

Cycledawg Member

I thought I had it solved with the Bluetooth toggling....but now it's back with a vengeance...it simply wont work or send to the car. Funny thing is....I can make calls, play music, send texts, send climate control and get car info on the app...yet the head unit says it needs a connection!

10. Technobody

Technobody New Member

I have the same issue. I talked to Honda link technicians this morning. They were going to send the issue over to the server group. If I hear anything back, I will let everyone know.

11. Cycledawg

Cycledawg Member

thanks....this is driving me nuts!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Technobody

Technobody New Member

Heard back from Honda Link techs today. They reported that the problem was fixed. Tried it out. Still can't use send to car. They are going to send it back to the server group again. I did discover that I had both bluetooth and wi-fi turned on in the car's head unit. Turning off wi-fi allowed the Hondalink allowed to send to car to complete, but the information never makes it to Hondalink in the car.

14. Technobody

Technobody New Member

Heard back from Honda Link In car tech group today. They finally admitted that the send to car doesn't work for Clarity vehicles. The Tech said that a fix is coming either this month or next. I'm not sure whether to believe this or not. My guess is that they have been fixing it for other vehicles and there are too few Claritys out there for it to be high on their bug fix list. I can live without it if it doesn't get fixed.

15. Cycledawg

Cycledawg Member

still not fixed......it simply wont connect at all.....although the phone app gets the correct info!

16. Tdude

Tdude New Member

For. Japanese company with years of experience, HondaLink along with Honda infotainment is such a let down. Buggy and slow. Very disappointed. Can’t wait for my lease to be over, 17 more months to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

FWIW, Ford and Jeep are no better with their smart phone aps.

18. Technobody

Technobody New Member

I did get the send location to car function to work once. But not since that one time. I have simply given up on that function. All the other functions of the Honda Link app work so I am ok with it. I probably would not have used that function much anyway. I still believe that the Clarity sells in such small volumes that it is not a priority for the Honda Link team

19. Cycledawg

Cycledawg Member

Only problem is that since it is not connecting it gives me an error in the search function of the navigation. I then have to plug my phone in and use android auto. Which is so strange, because it is definitely getting info from the car to the app, but the head unit still tells me that it needs connection.....even though I can make call, check messages, play music, etc.

20. I've been using Bluetooth with my hearing aids and have found it to be buggy. I can connect to my computer and watch Youtube videos, and quite often the sound cuts in and out. Sometimes it doesn't. Same with my phone, but it's better. Big learning curve with the phone. Things like hold it to your ear to answer a call or do the same during a call if the signal is lost. OnePlus 7 Pro. I don't use it for TV.

As an aside listening to music with hearing aids is a whole different experience. I keep wondering if anyone makes earbuds that go into the canal like my aids. The speakers are right next to my ear drums and listening to the drum solo in In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is simply amazing. Jimi Hendrix - Yikes!

One thing I've discovered, that once understood is obvious, is that if I've connected to one thing and want to connect to another I have to break the original connection first. If I don't Bluetooth refuses to connect to the new device. Another is that the connecting time is limited. So if you realize a connection is already made and you want to change it you have a limited time to connect to the new one. For my hearing aids it's 3 minutes from the time they are turned on. Sometimes they will connect without being turned off and on. Sometimes not.

I am not a fan of Bluetooth and never will be, but we're stuck with it and it's inefficiencies.

You should also toggle BT in the car if it fails.

21. I just checked. The latest version of HondaLink is 4.1.3 January 9, 2020

22. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Here’s an alternative to the in canal earbuds: bone conduction.
    I got a Bluetooth bone conduction headphone set at Christmas after trying a demo at Sam’s Club and finding the sound was phenomenally good to my old ears. It’s made by Atershokz and was only $79 (now $99 at Sams but cheaper on line). Very light weight, rechargeable, and comfortable. Nothing goes in or in the ear. It has a nickel coin sized tab that rest against your temple in front of the ear held in place by a thin behind the head loop. It sounds great to me even when I don’t have my hearing aides in, but does sound a little bit better with them in. My ear canals must be sensitive because after 4 hours or so my hearing aides’ molded insert gets uncomfortable as do any earbuds or in canal hearing aides. I’ve found the bone conduction headphones to be so comfortable that they’re my go to listening device.) It also handles phone calls with great audio on my end but some have said their end sounds a little like I’m talking in a bucket.)
    You should try one out. It sold me after just one listen.

23. My previous aids had an irritating end piece that was shaped like a badminton birdie. The open end would irritate. My new ones have a globe and I often get out of bed to put them in the charger because I forget I have them in. Way back when I had molded inserts and hated them. So far I've had no complaints regarding others hearing me on the phone. I will mention the bone conduction to my wife. She is always looking for something better. Thanks.

These things. They are called domes. The bottom part irritates.

[​IMG]