Hondalink app shows no services

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Vinoh, Jul 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Vinoh

Vinoh Member

For a couple of weeks now, the Hondalink app on my iPhones has not shown an any info (odometer, battery, etc) or any services (climate, destination, etc). It can connect to the car and go through the authorization procedure but that’s all. It shows that I am logged in and shows the type of car it’s connected to.

This all started when I called tech support to let them know that, even after the last app update, the destination function still would not send to the car until it is connected via bluetooth. Even though this is a problem everyone is having, the rep insisted that I redo the authorization process and give her my password so they could investigate. (Oddly enough, she didn’t think it was unusual or bad practice to ask for my password when I objected.) Since then, the app has lost all its ability to show any services or interact with the car. Since this happens on my wife’s phone as well, I suspect it is a server issue.

I’ve had many calls with her over the last couple of weeks. The latest involved me resetting the system to factory defaults which wiped out all my info, including saved places, but did not fix the issues. She has been in touch with the telematics team who have also been in touch with the people in Japan.

I’m still hopeful this will be solved but am losing patience with how long it is taking and the fact that every step seems to make the problems worse. Has anyone here had similar issues that may shed some light on what’s going on?

Thanks.

—Dave

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MarkClarity

MarkClarity Active Member

Sounds like you need to reset the telematics unit. Just pull a 12v battery lead off the battery for 30 seconds or so and then reconnect. You will lose the EV range history so it will take around 5 drives for the EV range to re-calibrate to your driving history, and a bunch of sensors will give an error on the dash until you drive about 30 seconds and they re-calibrate.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  4. Vinoh

Vinoh Member

After weeks of being without any HondaLink services and after many calls with tech support, I'm finally back to where I started after they mucked up my account. Most services seem to work as long as the app doesn't complain about not being able to connect to car, maybe due to a week signal. (Signal should not be week in my area).

I still can't send a destination to the car remotely, which was working until a few months ago, and was the reason for my initial call. It requires that I connect to the car via bluetooth which renders the function useless as I mentioned earlier. The rep is checking on the status of a fix for that and hopefully they don't mess up my account again.

5. Vinoh

Vinoh Member

As a final bit of nonsense from Honda, the rep informed me that the telematics team told her that, indeed, sending a destination doesn't work until you are connected via bluetooth. It won't work until they "release an update", whatever that means. They obviously knew this when I first called to check the status of the problem. All my wasted time was either due to an unbelievable level of incompetence or some sadistic attempt to deny they broke an advertised feature.

rickyrsx likes this.
  6. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

I feel your pain man..:( I just "recovered" from a case of dysfunctional HondaLinkTM myself.

Vinoh likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

HondaLink used to send me a notification when car was fully charged, but after the last update it doesn't do it anymore. Has anyone noticed that too or it's just my phone?

9. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I checked after reading @coutinpe's post. My android app on Galaxy S10+ does not notify me that charging is complete on 110v. Checked and all the notification settings have permissions.

10. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

These documented messes with software are a great reminder that vehicle manufacturers are not software companies and I fear self-driving cars. :eek:

11. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Oops! To give me the lie, tonight the app notified be that charging was complete. :oops:

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Cycledawg

Cycledawg Member

Sometimes when I am driving and click hondalink it gives me the weather and other times it says connection needed. Strange indeed that it connects sometimes and not others. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

14. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I have not used HondaLink very much, but there were a couple of times when it just became brain-dead and the App (Android in my case) could not seem to communicate at all. Instead of lumbering my way through the the pain and suffering of tech support, I thrashed around on my own.

On more than one occasion, I was able to recover functionality by uninstalling then reinstalling the App on the phone.

I'm not calling this a solution, but just another tool in the bag of tricks that may help avoid that painful call to tech support.

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The recent update took away my battery-fully-charged notification, too.

16. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

I had a two week period where I didn't get any notifications nor could I access any remote functions but then it magically started working again. I called the Hondalink customer service twice but they didn't really offer any real solution. But after those couple of weeks, everything is working again for me. I'm on iOS.

17. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I got a notice from my Honda Link this morning that my battery was fully charged. I’m running HL version 4.0.6 that came out on July 23 on an iPhone 8 running OS 12.3.1. (I haven’t updated to 12.4 yet)

18. cokeb5

cokeb5 Member

I just got my car, paired it with the HondaLink app, but it doesn't show how charged the car is at all and didn't send me a notification when it had finished charging. Additionally, the locate car function just says it couldn't find the vehicle. I can successfully see the odometer though, which is probably the least helpful thing on there... I'm running the latest released version on Android.

19. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

Exact same thing that happened to me but my car was a year old already. You can try call tech support and tell them it's not working but more often than not, it will connect on its own "magically" and then stop working again "magically". I would call tech support and just make them aware of the problem. Maybe they have to flip the switch or something.

MPower likes this.
  20. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I know this sounds dumb, but try uninstalling then reinstalling the Android App. You will have to log in again after the reinstall.
    Basically the App sucks, but this has gotten mine to work on several occasions.

cokeb5 likes this.
  21. cokeb5

cokeb5 Member

I'll give it a shot when I get home, thanks for the suggestion it definitely couldn't hurt. :)

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

There's always hope, as suggested in a timeless Tip of the Day from an early version of Microsoft Word:

upload_2019-8-7_12-39-18.png

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    rickyrsx, 2002 and cokeb5 like this.
  23. MarkClarity

MarkClarity Active Member

I believe everything except the odometer goes thru the telematics unit's Cellular connection. Odometer may be passed by bluetooth.

Every time you turn off the car, start or stop charging, charge beyond a trigger point % (25%, 40%, 55%, 70%, or 85%), or do "find my car" the telematics updates the values to the cloud server. If you do a "find my car" it usually takes about 30 seconds for the new values to show up in the app if you keep doing a refresh.

I had the same issue and after about 3 calls with the "expert" trying various resetting techniques they gave up and told me to go to the dealership. So I just did the battery lead pull to reset the telematics (See post #2 above) and then everything worked.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    cokeb5 likes this.