Honda Junk email Offer

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by bfd, Mar 23, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bfd

bfd Active Member

Rather disappointed in Honda for this little stunt, but I guess it's to be expected once some business has your information. The e-Rewards® Opinion Panel has little or nothing to do with Honda - except that Honda sold them your email address.

"Oh look, Honda wants my opinion!" Disappointingly deceptive…

I love the last bullet Privacy is protected.

LOFL

You have been advised.

[​IMG]

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. barnesgj

barnesgj Active Member

Pay attention to the news about Facebook. Any survey that requires personal information can be used to profile you.
    What burns me is that Honda has been releasing my Name and address to all these survey companies. I have never had this many solicitations after buying Toyotas. Just got one from AutoPacific where the entire last page was requesting highly personal information, including income. No way am I giving that info out of my own free will. Let them steal it from Experian like everyone else. :p

KentuckyKen likes this.
  4. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

That is exactly the subject I was going to raise.

To the list of most common lies, along with "Your check is in the mail" (and the other I won't repeat, as it's "not safe for work"), we should add a third: "Our website will protect your privacy".

FaceBook keeps asking for my personal phone #. There is no way in heck they are getting that! Plus, I always use a fake date of birth when registering online because, even before all the recent stories about large-scale hacks of personal data and Facebook allowing a company to "harvest" personal info from their customers, I knew quite well that any info I give a website could not possibly be considered truly confidential. No website is immune from hacking.
    -

5. ab13

ab13 Active Member

Once XM radio expires they contact you a lot.

6. Rajiv Vaidyanathan

Rajiv Vaidyanathan Active Member

Do they make good discount offers to keep you?

I'm loving the Sirius XM, but want to get the best deal possible. Any tips on getting the best price (don't particularly care about Sports channels).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ab13

ab13 Active Member

I don't recall exactly, but maybe it was down to $5 a month. Not sure what the package was. They call, email, and send letters. If I get another mail, I'll look at it.

Rajiv Vaidyanathan likes this.
  9. Rajiv Vaidyanathan

Thanks. I'll happily pay $5 a month for the music.

10. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

There's a "mostly music" plan which you can get down to under $10 US a month. I'm paying about $14 (including tax) for 2 vehicles right now - one with "XM Select" and one with "Mostly Music".

11. bfd

bfd Active Member

They had several of the $60 for one year deals (along with $30 for six-months) back in December. If you remind them of that, and tell them that's the deal you want, you'll probably get it. It's NEXT year, when you forget to drop the service that you'll pay for your memory failure unless you calendar the date that's a month before your anniversary date. Remember to do that, and you can cancel the service and then maybe wait a month or so for the "come back to us" offers.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rajiv Vaidyanathan

I see the $30 for six months right now for "XM Select" that does not include streaming. I actually enjoy using it with my Amazon Echo too. Have you ever seen a $30/6 mo plan that includes streaming? I see they have a $50/6 months plan that includes streaming. Ugh - should I bite or see what they offer when this expires?

Would you recommend just waiting for an "all access" deal (my trial expires 5/1/18) or signing up for the $30 deal? I'm guessing that the $30 deal will always be available and there is perhaps no advantage to signing up for it now. If anyone has received a good deal on all-access (e.g., $60/year), please let me know.

Advice welcome.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  14. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

Here is an alternative idea that I use (this probably only works if you use an android phone): Get a Google Music/YouTube Red subscription. I get the family subscription for $15/month so my wife and kids all get their own subscription. If gives you access to the entire Google Play music library, plus you can upload your own music to your account, plus you get a YouTube Red subscription which gets rid of YouTube ads and access to whatever music is on YouTube. A personal account is $10/month. I think it is a much better value than XM and zero commercials. I guess if you listen to the news channels XM makes sense but there are podcasts on Google Music. Just throwing it out there as an alternative.

Rajiv Vaidyanathan likes this.
  15. Mikep00

Mikep00 Active Member

Did you agree to let Honda provide your info to 3rd parties when you bought the car? If not, and you live in Canada, file a complaint with the Privacy Commissioner for a PIPEDA violation.

I have no idea in the US is there are similar rules regarding company’s sharing your personal info with 3rd parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. ab13

ab13 Active Member

I got another mail, well, this is about the same as what other people mentioned. It is the 12 months for $60, no activation fee, "Select" option, which I guess doesn't have streaming.

17. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

News reports say that if you live in the UK you are protected by stronger right to privacy laws than we Yanks have, and while I don't know much about Canadian law, since Canada is part of the British Commonwealth I suspect you're protected better than we are, too.

Of course, when I say "protected", that really only means you have an easier time of it going after the muth**f***ers after they've already stolen your personal data and sold it, not that privacy laws actually "protect" you in any real sense from a website harvesting personal data from you and sharing it with, or selling it to, whomever they please.

For example, note all the recent news about a company that used social media to manipulate public opinion, a company which used FaceBook to harvest info from people. It was against FaceBook's rules to do so, but there was not anything actually preventing the company from doing as it pleased with the info it harvested. And of course, FaceBook's Mark Zuckerberg was shocked, SHOCKED that anyone might harvest info from FaceBook users and use that info to target them with fake news or links specifically tailored to their interests! :mad: :rolleyes:

Okay, I'll stop ranting now. ;)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018