Has anyone noticed that the rims on the right are opposite direction from the rims on the left?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Cycledawg, May 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cycledawg

Cycledawg Member

I thought it was an error only on my car, but I have looked at many different pictures off the internet and they all spin opposite! Has anyone else noticed this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Rims are actually the same. They didn't make left and right so when you put them on one side, the angle of the inserts is one way, on the other side, it reverses. Guess Honda didn't think it would make enough difference in aerodynamics to care to make a left set and a right set...

4. Cycledawg

Cycledawg Member

thanks for the clarification.....im used to left and right side directional rims....so I was surprised to see this!

5. Candice

Candice Active Member

I don't think they would actually make right/left rims because you would eventually need to rotate the tires

6. Cycledawg

Cycledawg Member

I have had directional rims on other cars. You can rotate front to back or dismount the tires. Directional rims are usually more noticeable.....these are very subtle.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Easy. Go back to front, then switch sides on the next rotation, then back to front again, then sides again, ad infinitum.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Honda only uses directional rims on their concept and pre-production prototype cars. However, that's where you can tell which direction the wheels' designers intended them to turn. I don't have photos of the Clarity pre-production prototype, but here are photos of the pre-production 2019 Insight's right- and left-side wheels. The left-side pre-production wheel was the model for all the wheels for the production Insight.

upload_2019-5-10_16-7-47.png

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  10. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

With all the extremes that Honda went to on this car for aerodynamics, I would have thought they would have thought that reversing the rims would be worth it...

11. vicw

vicw Active Member

I have long suspected that the reversed orientation between the right and left hand rotation might be the source of the annoying whine that I hear on the right side, between 28 and 34 mph.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I hear that exact same whine at the same speeds you do and only between those speeds and only when in EV. Mine seems to be coming from under the hood so I assumed it was a harmonic from the electric motor. I’ll try it with either the left or right window down to see if it’s coming from the wheels.

14. vicw

vicw Active Member

To be honest, I think your theory is more plausible than mine, and the whine is most likely unpreventable, but it will be interesting to see what your test shows.