Gear Noise Between 6-16 MPH - Blind Warning

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by David Samson, Jul 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Samson

David Samson New Member

Anyone else hear this noise between 6-16 MPH, coasting or accelerating? It's the warning for blind people, right? Asking for a friend, anyone know how to disconnect the speaker?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

The warning noise for blind people is called VESS and can be temporarily disabled by pulling out fuse labeled "Module 4". There is a diagram inside owner manual. Because the fuse is shared with other components, you will also lose some other non-essential features like automatic emergency braking, blind-spot detection, etc. I suggest only pulling it when you want to record the noise and then putting it back.

You can hear what mine sounds like with VESS disabled, in this post:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/tapping-or-creaking-noise-when-coasting-at-low-speed.5915/

I hear a rapid tapping or drumming noise that increases in frequency in the range you described.

VESS sounds totally different. It's like the tune in this Kona EV video:

Domenick and David Samson like this.
  4. Bill Benstead

Bill Benstead New Member

5. Basically, the alignment of the shaft connecting the electric motor to the reduction gear was off, so needed to realign the shaft and re-grease with the correct grease (apparently, the improper grease was also used on this car).

6. Gigi

Gigi New Member

I'm waiting patiently for someone to post a YouTube video showing how to disable the VESS (and only the VESS) without leaving any warning lights on the dash. As far as I can tell, the VESS is a US federal compliance requirement on Kia as a manufacturer, not a requirement in most US states. (In other words, most people--maybe all--will still be able to get a passing vehicle inspection with VESS disabled.) The sound is annoying, particularly in echoey garages and parking structures.

7. To remove this ad click here.