Frunk Idea

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Wayne C, Nov 20, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

Hello all.
    I came up with an idea for a frunk. Seems simple enough, maybe to simple. What I am using is a duffel bag. It measure 2' X 15'X 11'. Good place to stow the trickle EVSE, washer fluid, spare item's rags, old towel and rope. I used a piece or rubber mat from the dollar store to reduce sliding around on the motor and a bungy cord.

IMG_20201119_151154.jpg IMG_20201119_151351.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. blue_door

blue_door Member

I am not sure if you're suggesting this as a legitimate "frunk" or are just trolling because, frankly, that doesn't look like a good idea to me. Granted the moving parts are much lower in the engine bay, I'd be worried about that duffel bag chafing wires or somehow working itself down further into the engine compartment and possibly getting caught by a rotating part -- despite your efforts to limit that with the rubber mat and bungy cord. Do you really have a need to carry washer fluid with you? The EVSE will fit in the spare tire well very nicely. I have mine back there with a 50ft extension cord. Towel and rope would also fit back there. Plenty of space.

Kia Guy and Greg Elmassian like this.
  4. Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

Thank you for your negative comments. I assure you I am not trolling. The duffel bag idea does work. I find having the evse cable handy to have up front and people that live in a winter climate carry windshield wash fluid in their vehicle, this is also handy to have up front near the washer bottle. If you remove the plastic engine cover you will find no rotating parts or wires to chafe. There is only the fan which is protected with plastic hence the bungee cord just to be sure. I carry things in the trunk all the time and do not wish to remove things just to get to the spare tire area. The duffel bag is for making life easier. Whatever works for you.

5. blue_door

blue_door Member

I apologize for the tone of my comment. I should have worded my response using less inflammatory language. I just visualized the situation where you're going down the road happily, hit a bump in just the right way and a part of the duffel back slips down behind and it gets caught in the axle, instantly sucked down and causes plenty of damage on it's way out of the engine compartment, resulting in you being stranded. That all being said, I would be more comfortable with a shallow plastic tub secured to top plastic shroud and inside that tub you could put the duffel bag.

6. If cost is the object, I have seen threads where an inexpensive plastic box was fitted. Maybe $6. I would likewise be concerned with a shapeless bag that could hang over and get into something. Yes, few things to get caught on, but it would concern me.

Greg

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hedge

Hedge Member

I agree with Greg and any others. It would be best to remove the possibility of something coming in contact with the moving parts.

There is another thread somewhere on the site that has video of some one putting in a couple plastic containers and attaching them to where the motor cover is attached. Also there is a YouTube video about a kona.

9. Bruce Southern

Bruce Southern New Member

This is the only one I'd recommend.
    shop (frunk.at) Looks classy and fits perfectly.

10. bubzki

bubzki Member

I use a plastic bin and it works pretty well. My main concern is of course heat during L2 AC charging, which I think reaches something like 200 F at the inverter surface. If you can put some foil or other thermal barrier in there and ideally the duffel is water resistant (for splashing) then I actually think your idea is legit, if unconventional. Why didn't these have a frunk insert from factory again??

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Robert Lewis

Robert Lewis Member

That's what I got for my 2019 EV. frunk.jpg

13. Robert@SF

Robert@SF New Member

I think I would worry about how hot it gets under the hood. I put in a plastic tub over inverter/engine but I used a flame resistant material underneath the tub.

14. Robert@SF

Robert@SF New Member

Nice but a bit pricey.

15. Bruce Southern

Bruce Southern New Member

Frunk in Car.jpg
    Here is a genuine upgraded Frunk with badge, edging and anti-slip mats, that's for sale at $250CAN with free shipping in Ontario. I can give shipping quotes for the places in or outside Canada.