Found where our powertrain came from

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Michael Borquez, Aug 12, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robin likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SkipperT

SkipperT Member

That was an interesting read - 85mpg estimated in the Fit.
    Did Honda ever mass produce the Fit in that configuration, maybe elsewhere in the world?

-Skip

4. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I wish that Fit had been more available! However, it's not the Clarity powertrain, because that Fit has a 7 speed dual clutch transmission and a different electric motor. Not sure about the gas engine either; Honda may have developed a new or modified version of the 1.5L for the Clarity?

5. AL-B

AL-B New Member

IMG_20180607_130809235.jpg I upgraded from a 2015 Fit and after 53K miles including 4 round trips from TX to FL, I averaged a combined 43mpg. The Clarity when it revs sounds like my Fit on the highway so I'm used to the engine noise. The Fit is a great commuter car but there were compromises to achieve the fuel efficiency such as smaller, cramped cabin, less sound deadening materials and no power seats at the top of the line model. Survived a 70mph crash in the Fit and walked away with mild bruising. Real pleased with the emphasis on safety that Honda puts in all of its cars.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  6. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

Wow

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hobbesgsr

Hobbesgsr Active Member

The Clarity uses the LEB3 1.5l DOHC i-VTEC Atkinson-cycle version of Honda's L series engine.
    • 1.5-liter, DOHC, i-VTEC® Atkinson-cycle inline-4 cylinder engine
    • Engine output: 103 peak horsepower (SAE net) at 5,500 rpm
    • Engine output: 99 lb.-ft. peak torque (SAE net) at 5,000 rpm
    • i-VTEC® (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) + Electric VTC
    • Computer-controlled port fuel injection with multi-hole fuel injectors
    • 13.5:1 compression ratio
    The closest engine I could find is the 1.5l DOHC i-VTEC L15B1 from the 2015+ Fit.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_L_engine
    http://asia.vtec.net/Series/FitJazz/lseries/index.html