First gas station in America to ditch oil for 100% electric

Discussion in 'General' started by electriceddy, Sep 26, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The Maryland station has been serving gasoline since 1958 and now is the first to complete the transition to 100% electric.
    Owner Depeswar Doley summed it up beautifully by saying "It's not something that I expect to become rich overnight or something like that, but it is a good cause and good for the environment"
    Four dispensers that connect to a high power 200kW system allows four vehicles to charge simultaneously and reach 80% charge in 20 to 30 minutes.
    I hope his business thrives and can provide a benchmark for other Petrol based stations.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/26/first-gas-station-to-ditch-oil-for-electric-vehicle-charging-now-open.html

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Gutsy move, but may not be profitable due to the low volumes. I guess he will make up some money when people go into the convenience store and buy a latte or something like that. On the other hand he may lose business to the store as there is less foot traffic. If 4 cars come in at the same time, it means no one else can come in for the next 20 minutes. A normal gas station may see about 8-12 cars or more in the same period. So I guess we have to wait and see what happens and if that will convince more people to change.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. If he could swing a deal with the local electric taxi owners/drivers:
    https://wamu.org/story/17/08/14/no-place-charge-d-c-s-electric-cab-drivers-ask-help/
    I think he would have enough business to compensate for the decrease of ICE.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I wish him luck but I'd rather see ordinary, 24x7, fast food, grocery, and coffee shops have distribution/J1772 chargers at the far side of their parking lots.

Bob Wilson