Federal rebates still on the Volt?

Discussion in 'Volt' started by Altaville, Dec 2, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Altaville

Altaville New Member

I own a 2014 Volt and love the car, especially as a commuter in CA, though we have driven interstate with it too.
    Does anyone know if GM reached it's 200K EV car sales limit as yet. I understand that the $7500 rebate will drop then. When will that actually be cut in half for a new buyer?
    What are your opinions on the future monthly sales of the Volt, now that its to be killed next year- sales up or down?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Actually the (maximum) $7500 rebate isn't dropped to half until after the end of the (if I remember correctly) quarter after the end of the quarter in which auto maker reports crossing the 200,000 threshold. (Actually it's a bit more complex than that, because apparently the IRS goes by registrations reported by the various States, not by what the auto maker reports to them.)

So if my understanding is correct, you should be good thru the first quarter of 2019, if not longer.

The latest InsideEVs news article on the subject:

"OCTOBER [2018] UPDATE – 5 Automakers Closest To Losing The Federal Tax Credit"

BTW: The IRS has a help line. Perhaps they can answer detailed questions like this? 1-800-829-1040

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  4. TintDepot

TintDepot New Member

Did GM kill the Volt?

5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member