Favorite detailing products? What do you use to condition your leather?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by A-Lebron, Mar 20, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. A-Lebron

A-Lebron New Member

Hey all,
    With the first snowstorm coming in I'm getting ready to wash off the excess salt with some chemical guys car cleaning products that have high gloss like blacklight. However, I've never owned some leather seats and am a little scared when I see reviews of leather conditioners ruining the seats. Are there any leather conditioners you all currently use or recommend? Any other cleaning products you recommend for the clarity?

I know we have sections of "wood" and cloth along the dash in the touring and in some cars that will get sprayed with water repellent. Has anyone tried that?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. descolado

descolado Member

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I’ve been using Mothers Leather Tech moisture infusing gel cream (what a name!) but only because I found it in a mark down bin. It seems to work well and doesn’t leave an odor but instructs you to massage it in. LOL.
    One caution: be very careful on the perforated sections of the leather. If you clog them up w conditioner it will be very difficult to get it all out and then it will get on your pants next time you sit on it. I do the rest of the seat and then when applicator is almost dry, I do the perforated parts. Oh yeah, don’t do the steering wheel as you don’t want that slick.

For all other areas of interior except the suede, I use 303 Protectant. The aviation community swears by this stuff for planes that stay tied down on the tarmac for long periods and are susceptible to UV/heat deterioration. It works very well and I like it because it does not leave a shiny finish like the Armour All like products. Used it on the entire dash shelf under the windshield where you don’t want glare and did not add any shine. Also used on every other surface (except the suede). Only negative is the price: $12/32 oz with an online coupon at Auto Zone is the best I’ve found.
    I’ve also used it on the door and hood gaskets and every thing I could reach under the hood. Buff/rub it dry and it doesn’t leave a sticky residue to collect dust/dirt.

I use polymer waxes like NuFinish on the paint. Seems to bead water longer than paste wax. One thing I hate about waxing is that if you get any on a rubber part like the gaskets it's almost impossible to get the haze off. I found a solution to areas close to gaskets like the door jambs is to use a spray product like Barrett Jackson Rapid Detailer. Don’t know how they do it but even though it contains carnuba wax (along w polymers) it doesn’t leave a haze if you get any on the rubber/synthetic gaskets.
    Doing the areas around the doors and trunk that you don’t see when closed is a pain but it makes it collect dirt slower and easier to clean later.

I’m working up the nerve to try some 3M scotch guard on the suede as mine is beige and you know that’s going to show dirt in a hurry. Probably try a little corner on a back door and see if it changes the appearance.

For preventative measures besides protecting leather and plastic, I bought a 5’ x 6” roll of 8mil 3M paint protection film for $20 (beware of Chinese brands whose adhesive may damage paint and be difficult to remove). Cut in half, it was enough to do all 4 door sills and the wells behind the door handles that wives’ rings and fingernails can scratch up.
    May do front bumper area for road rash but that’s kind of pricey.

I take the time to be rather picky w this because on my budget I have to keep a car much longer than most. I’ve never driven a car less than 10 years if it’s holding up well (usually longer).

I also paid for a premium tint on all glass (clear on the windshield but check your laws) which blocks 99% of the UV and most of the IR/heat. Not only protects the plastic but the car is phenomenally not heating up in the sun which should help reduce A/C usage/help range. In full sun, the dash is not getting blazingly hot. Best improvement I’ve made to the Clarity.
    Hope this helps.

Jed and benmwaldie like this.
  5. visajet

visajet New Member

6. KentuckyKen

Visajet, thanks for the link. Did it alter the appearance (color, texture) in any way?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. visajet

visajet New Member

No, I sprayed 3 coats with an hour gap for each coat, almost 2 weeks ago. No discoloration/change in texture of any kind. As to how effective it is, haven't had a chance to test that (and hope not to for a while)!

9. KentuckyKen

I finally got up the nerve to try some Scotchguard on the beige suede. Took a Q-tip and saturated some on the door where it’s out of sight when closed. Result was no change to appearance in any way. So I started on the whole panel. Instead of trying to use newspaper or taping it off to handle the over spray, I just sprayed some in a small bottle and dabbed it on with a very small 99 cent foam brush cut down to a nub. Worked great. Looks the same when dry and should repel dirt better and be easier to clean now. If you have the black suede you may not have to bother with it. So we now have two proven ways to treat the suede.

10. KentuckyKen

27FA01CB-821A-459A-BB92-82997E0D10BB.jpeg
    Update:
    Dabbing with an applicator seems to use way too much Scotchguard so went to painters tape/newspaper and spraying. Worked great. One can is enough to do 4 doors and dash in several light coats. If you're a “this is America; if a little is good a lot is better!” kind of person, then you’ll need a second can.
    BTW, heavy overspray-drip on adjacent plastic is a little bit of a job to remove but not too bad.
    And yes, it does not change the color or texture of the suede at all. The picture is of the heavily treated first door I did with the dabbing.

11. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

There are so many different kinds of Scotchguard! Did you use the one made for suede?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

I just used the regular aerosol can from Wally World. Taped off the adjoining areas and sprayed several times. Didn’t change the texture or color. I didn’t even know there was a suede kind of Scotchguard.

14. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll get whatever's on the shelf :D It could be all the same Scotchguard, just in different color cans for marketing purposes.

I use 303 Protectant for everything else. 303 also works well on leather, but for leather I use Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner. The suede threw me for a loop because I've never had that in an interior before.

15. Hi.Ho.Silver

Hi.Ho.Silver Active Member

What parts of our seats on the Touring model are actually real leather?

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Nov 16, 2017 Honda Clarity Press Release only says "leather-trimmed":

Clarity Plug-in Hybrid Touring
    • Navigation with Charging Infrastructure Information
    • Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
    • Driver's Seat with 8-Way Power Adjustment and 2-Position Memory
    • Front Passenger's Seat with 4-Way Power Adjustment
    • Perforated Leather-Trimmed Seats
    • Ultrasuede® Interior
    I want to believe the seating surfaces, if not the whole seats, are leather.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  17. Hi.Ho.Silver

Hi.Ho.Silver Active Member

“Leather Trimmed” certainly does not closely define what is leather.

18. ncatoffice

ncatoffice New Member

I really like CarPro products and use their product called Carpro Inside. I have used it effectively to clean leather. I am slightly obsessive about how my cars look and keep trying new products. So far, CarPro has impressed me the most. I also have AMMO products on order; slightly pricey, but are supposed to be very good

19. KentuckyKen

Glad to hear somebody else has discovered 303. I used it on all the plastic inside and detailed under the hood with it in the hopes of making things easier to clean later.
    The beige suede may be pretty to look at but will be a bear to keep clean.

20. JohnT

JohnT Active Member

Hi
    Just a shout-out for 'AutoGlym' a UK product available at Canadian Tire in Canada, and Amazon.com etc in USA...
    Has a great wax that you can do the whole car before polishing, a much better than ArmorAll for all the plastic etc, a great leather product etc.. lasts a long time; not sticky etc. Used it on my ex Honda CRZ (I miss it !) for 5 years and it kept everything like new.
    (and 3M fabric protector for the beige suede)

21. peterkronenberg

peterkronenberg New Member

I second using regular 3M Scotchguard on the 'suede'. Keep in mind that it's not real suede, so the regular Scotchguard seems to work fine.

22. Sukhpreet Sandhu

Sukhpreet Sandhu New Member

It says 303 fabric quard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KMYYQ36/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_tjW3CbJB19ACB can be used on suede. Has anyone used this be used instead of the scotchguard.

23. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I use 303 protectant on all vinyl and rubber parts on my Clarity. Has sun screen in the product to keep plastic from fading.

Like KentuckyKen mentioned, it also works great in the engine compartment on all plastic and rubber parts.

Last edited: May 17, 2019