Engine starts after filling up the tank

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Zor, Sep 14, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Zor

Zor Member

Yesterday I filled the tank for the first time. This morning on the way to work I noticed the engine was on, and stayed on for about 30 minutes running at idle but it kept the batteries topped up.

Could this be an overfill/gas expansion response?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Probably not. I overfilled the tank when filling it up from almost full at purchase and it did not trigger the ice. Most likely a System Check if your driving conditions and style were moderate.
    Here are the trigger points mentioned on p 13 of the manual;

The car will select the appropriate source of power depending on the drive mode you select.As a result, the engine will automatically start or stop as needed to either charge the battery or provide supplemental power.Under certain circumstances, the engine may turn on or, if it is already on, it may not turn off.
    ●You are going uphill or accelerating aggressively.
    ●The climate control system is in heavy use.
    ●The Ambient temperature is too hot or too cold.
    ●The High Voltage Battery state of charge is very low.
    ●The vehicle is running a system check.

System Check
    When the engine initially starts (between the time the POWER button is turned on and turned off), the vehicle conducts a system check.
    ●While the check is being conducted, the engine may periodically turn on and off. This, however, is normal.
    ●The curved blue line in the POWER/CHARGE Gauge will not appear during the system check (EV indicator may still turn on).
    ●Once the engine starts, it will continue to run until the system reaches operating temperature.The curved blue line in the POWER/CHARGE Gauge will reappear once the system check is completed.

Oak Hill Dan likes this.
  4. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

They need to update the code in the ecm to show system test in the information display and keep the i illuminated until the test is done.

David A likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

• Also, the engine may run just because it wants to remember what circulating oil feels like (page 110 in Owners Manual):
    upload_2018-9-14_12-0-57.png

KentuckyKen likes this.
  6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I agree. The engine icon on the center display barely illuminates more than when it’s off. It’s easy to miss it. I too would like a more readily noticeable indicator that the ICE is running on the DDI.
    My ICE came on today and I didn’t notice it until i parked and barely heard it idling. It ran for only a few minutes and turned itself off. I’m assuming it was a System Check since I didn’t get the @insightman msg on oil circulation. But then again, it happened within 1 mile from a full charge on a short uphill. Can’t say exactly why but I get short ICE runs about every couple of weeks when I’m driving months and months on EV only. Not complaining though, since it’s so short and seldom that my gas gauge has not moved in almost 5 months. And I know my ICE is happy and ready to go when I need it for a trip.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

While not in the manual, it's well known in this forum that the engine will turn on when the battery charge is full and going downhill or regen generates too much charge and gets discharged through the gas engine. We assume this - since it's not in the manual...