Engine Air Filter

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Valente, May 21, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Valente

Valente Active Member

Has anyone changed their engine air filter yet? I live in very dusty Palm Springs and have almost 10,000 mi on my car. The manual said to change around 15,000 miles. I also have no idea where the filter is located under the hood. It looks like it might be on the right side - the side where the steering wheel is. There are 2 clips but I haven't tried replacing the air filter yet.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Haven’t changed it yet but yes, you have found it on the right side facing the car (driver’s side).
    To open just loosen the 2 clips and pull up on the left side enough to slide the right side from under its 2 slide in brackets. It helps to pull up on the flexible hose connecting it to the engine while pushing the housing to the left and down a little. Easy peazy, lemon squeezy.
    Then replace air filter noting direction of air flow is from bottom to top.
    Reverse order to replace cover and you’re done. Just go slow and don’t force it and break off the tabs. It’s a very easy, quick DIY project.

Since most of our driving is in EV Mode without the engine running, the total miles greatly underestimate the remaining life of the filter. I would let it go until the Maintenance Minder calls for it by way of a code 8 (US & Canada). The 15,000m/24,000km mentioned in the manual is for severe sevice in dusty conditions. For everyday normal driving just wait for a code 8 and you will be fine.

Whoops, just saw you are in dusty conditions so in your case change with milage mentioned. Just be sure to reset the Maintenance Minder (p479) for this and save the receipt for possible future warranty claim.

Here are pix of it closed and open so you can see the 2 tabs on the right that have to slide in and out of their brackets.
    Post us a pix of how dirty it was at 15,000 miles in hour dusty conditions.
    I’m going to guess it’s not much.
    F9620F94-12DC-4BF4-9FE9-A0A68FD617CF.jpeg
    3A48B1E6-3ECC-44B9-BEE8-972C6997528B.jpeg

4. Valente

Valente Active Member

Wow! Thanks so much. Appreciate it.

5. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

can you post part number for this filter? Thanks.

6. bluuk

bluuk New Member

Part #6 on this diagram.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

Is there any way to ascertain total ICE miles? That seems like a key number that should drive lots of maintenance activities.

9. bluuk

bluuk New Member

The computer in the car will tell you when to perform maintenance based on how the car is used. I'm assuming it looks at engine run time to calculate when engine maintenance is needed. It will also call for certain maintenance like oil changes to be done yearly if the ICE is used infrequently.

KentuckyKen posted a great guide on installing an hour meter on the ICE. The hour meter will let you see the engine run time without special access to the car's on board computer. It would be nice if Honda was more transparent on what drives certain maintenance activities and allowed the owner to see the parameters on the infotainment screen.

10. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

I called K&N Filters a couple of weeks ago and they don’t have it yet. I plan on changing the cabin and engine filter when they have it available.

11. KentuckyKen

For the Honda OEM engine air filter:

Hondapartsnow.com
    Element Assy., Air/C
    17220-5WJ-A01. $19.36

College Hills Honda web site:
    17220-PWJ-A01, $22.24

Don’t know if difference is a typo or not. Prices of these two are much better than my dealer. Will go by dealer after voting today and see if it will cross reference with any other Honda model so I can look it up for possible after market solutions.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

Just got confirmation that K&N has the engine filter for the Clarity:

https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=33-5080

I crossed referenced the cabin air filter an tried it out and it fits:

https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=VF2033&pkid=5877080&rw=1

I crossed referenced the oil filter and found this one. Have not tried it out yet but it is the same one that I used on my previous Honda Civic so I actually have a couple left over and will try it out when I change the oil:

https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=HP-1010&pkid=5877075&rw=1

craze1cars likes this.
  14. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

anyone has part numbers for non-OEM filters? such as Fram, Puralator, etc... Thanks.

15. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I'm a huge proponent of K&N air filters for sure. Case in point: I bought a USED one in 2003, for my then nearly-new Chevy Silverado. When I traded that truck in on a new 2015 Silverado, I transferred the air filter, because I was happy to learn the part number was identical.

That particular air filter now has been in use for at least 16 years and over 300,000 miles in 2 vehicles, plus who knows how long with the previous owner of the filter. I have personally cleaned it probably 8 times. I just use any generic household degreaser like Fantastik to clean it (not the expensive K&N cleaner) and I do buy the red K&N oil for it. Probably spent $10 on filter oil over 16 years. That filter still looks like new every time I clean it. Not to mention I haven't put a single air filter in the trash in 16 years...that should perk the ears up of the typical Clarity owner who is interested in sustainability and reducing your footprint.

Even if you sell the car...in the interest of true frugality...if you remember to pull it out and put your original paper unit back in first, you can usually then sell a used K&N Filter on Ebay and get at least half of your money back....and let someone else continue running your filter.

IMO there is no better bang for your buck than a K&N Air filter, for anyone who intends to keep a vehicle any length of time. It's simply the last air filter you'll ever buy for any car. All my cars get them at first filter change.

Stan-O and Clarity_Newbie like this.
  16. KentuckyKen

I could not find any aftermarket engine air filter for the Clarity. I can tell you that neither Fram nor Amsoil has it for the Clarity. All they have are oil and cabin filters. It’s just too new a model with too few numbers to make it worthwhile for aftermarket manufacturers to develop one. For now we are stuck with Honda OEM engine air filters. Best price I found was College Hills Honda for $22.44. I got one along with an accessory order last year so the shipping didn’t kill me.

17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I believe the MM looks only at total mileage and time since the oil was changed (eg. a year), not ICE mileage. @KentuckyKen installed an inexpensive engine-hour meter on his Clarity PHEV, so he may not know how many miles his ICE has been running, but he knows how many hours spark plug #1 has been firing.

18. Philly400

Philly400 New Member

You properly found theses already but just in case there on Amazon PG Air Filter PA99427 and the ECOGARD XA11609

19. ICanBreakIt

ICanBreakIt New Member

K and N filters are horrendous at filtering the air compared to other brands. The poor filtering performance of the K&N filters might be a moot point if you rarely use the engine in the clarity anyway though.

Project Farm did a really rigorous comparison:

Advance Auto Parts has a purolator, carquest and the K&N so there are some options now for anyone wondering. You might have to get them shipped though.

Mowcowbell likes this.