Electrician cost to install Level 2 charger in Canada

Discussion in 'General' started by rickyrsx, Jul 18, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

I'm in the Toronto area and I want to know what is a ballpark figure to have a 220V outlet installed. I know there are factors involved such as amperage, distance from panel, access, etc. but I'd just like to find out an average charge. Some people have speculated that because the Ontario government had a rebate for this, some electricians jacked up their price since half was given back to the customer. Now that the rebate is no more, I'm wondering if electricians might lower their price.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I would just call three or four electricians in your area and get a rough estimate over the phone.

4. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

The electricians need to know the total potential usage in your home to establish whether or not you need a panel upgrade. My home has a 120 amp panel and electric baseboard heating. I either had to get a panel upgrade to 200amps or have some appliances removed. As I only use the basement for storage and
    occasional workshop functions I elected to have the baseboard heaters removed which brought things into compliance with ESA regulations. I then bought a 220V "garage heater" on sale from Canadian Tire for around 70 bucks and put a dryer plug on it. I can either use the dryer or the heater but not at the same time. I set it just enough to keep pipes from freezing in the winter.

In answer to your question you can expect to pay between $300 - $500 for the installation. I saved a bit of money by doing the physical installation of the charging dock myself leaving the wiring to the electrician. If you need a panel upgrade expect to pay an additional $1500 to $2000 (whew!). Make sure your electrician is licensed and gets the proper permits. Your insurance company will not pay for a fire as a result of wiring done without a permit.