E “hot rod”

Discussion in 'General' started by Hotrodhopeful, Nov 12, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hotrodhopeful

Hotrodhopeful New Member

Hey so I’ve been a petrol head my whole life (grandpa owned a garage and I practically grew up in it) and custom cars were always my preferred. sadly building a petrol hot rod for under $2000 is nigh impossible, so I’ve had a secondary idea electric. I plan on building the chassis and body myself to keep weight down. The body is loosely based on a Toyota 2000GT and older Ferrari’s. Construction is going to be 6 55gal oil drums weighing about 240lbs prior to reinforcement running gear and drivetrain. My question is this. Could two scooter motors get me to highway speeds in a possibly under 500lbs car? I don’t expect it to exceed 1,000lbs though

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hotrodhopeful

Hotrodhopeful New Member

Oh this is strictly assuming I can get this pile of steel road legal (I’m going to the DMV tomorrow to learn all requirements)

4. With the right gearing, I guess it's possible. Probably not optimal, though. Do you know their upper RPM limit? You may be able to move the car, but getting up to speed could be tricky. Might be better to use a salvage Nissan LEAF motor to turn the back wheels. Of course, a salvage LEAF would also have a battery pack you could use. The tricky part would be finding one to fit your budget.