Driving an I-Pace First Reviews are in...

Discussion in 'I-Pace' started by David Green, Jun 3, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks David,

This first one is not an auspicious start:
    http://www.wired.co.uk/article/jaguar-i-pace-review

Now is not a great time to be Elon Musk. The serial electric vehicle innovator, Dot-Com billionaire and space explorer is busy fending off critics and naysayers from all corners of the globe, as his promise of a mass produced Model 3 rapidly crumbles under financial and production misery.

To make matters worse, some of the biggest names in the auto industry have their sights trained on Silicon Valley, with a raft of Model 3 rivals waiting in the wings to pounce on a global market opportunity.

Despite Nissan's Leaf proving popular among the masses (it's officially the biggest selling EV in the world), the world's premium automakers are yet to goad Musk with a luxury offering that can match the experience offered by the Model S, Model X and forthcoming Model 3.

Alas, with 1.3m plug-in vehicles sold across the globe last year, . . .

It starts with no mention of the product but a jealous rant about Elon Musk and his products. I am reminded of the Monty Python skit were a man comes in for an argument and first walks into 'abuse.'

This second review is better by melding the Tesla snark in with an actual car review:
    https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/reviews/jaguar/144584-jaguar-ipace-review-electric-suv-price-range

I prefer the third review in part because of this:

The only thing they’ll have to know about the I-Pace is that it’s a battery electric vehicle (BEV), and the first premium, long-range, practical, pure-electric vehicle from an old-school car maker, if that doesn’t sound overly specific. What I mean is that it joins the Tesla Model series and a host of plug-in hybrids as the long-range, poshbadge electric choice and has felt like a long time coming.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/jaguar/i-pace/first-drives/jaguar-i-pace-ev400-s-2018-review

This is a quality car review happily free from bile and spite against Tesla. Reading gives a good feel and impression about the I-Pace. I look forward to seeing the car in the market place even if a couple of years late.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  4. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's pretty shocking. I think Wired has a pretty good standard for journalism -- at least for online journalism, which arguably has lower standards than print journalism -- but this is a pretty poor example. Articles should be about the subject of the article, and not start off with several off-topic paragraphs ranting about something or somebody else!

As I said in response to the first InsideEVS news article about the I-Pace going on sale, it's good to see Tesla finally getting some real competition! But if internet journalists keep using I-Pace reviews primarily for creating space for them to slam Tesla -- well, I may have to change my mind about that.

It's really too bad that so many articles about PEVs (Plug-in EVs) are written as if selling PEVs is a zero-sum game. There is room for lots of PEV models in the market, and the more models there are, the faster the EV revolution is going to grow. If there is a zero-sum-game, it's the competition between gasmobiles and PEVs, not PEVs with each other!

Up the EV revolution!

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Found a nice YouTube review:

Bob Wilson

6. David Green

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Green

9. David Green

https://www.gearbrain.com/jaguar-i-pace-review-roundup-2575091588.html

10. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

11. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Hmmm, Bjørn doesn't seem to like it nearly as much as most reviewers. Some pro-Tesla bias on his part, perhaps? Of course, he's entitled to his opinion. But most -- or rather, all -- of the other reviews I've read or seen have been considerably more positive. So I hope Bjørn's review is an outlier.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

He seems plenty excited about the good stuff.

Domenick likes this.