Does anyone have the 15 amp Honda charger for sale?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David A, Aug 15, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David A

David A Guest

Just curious if anyone is interested in selling the 15 amp Honda charger that came with the Clarity.

I am looking for one to keep in the car as mine is hooked up for nightly duty.

Never hurts to ask!

Thanks
    David

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2018
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Damon Ledet

Damon Ledet New Member

V8Power likes this.
  4. David A

David A Guest

Thanks for the reply. I realize there are several 16 amp versions for sale...problem is specs say they require a 20 amp breaker to be used safely. Unfortunately, most garage outlets are tied to 15 amp breakers which necessitates the lower rated charger.

I am looking for the Honda supplied chargers which pulls less then 12 amps which runs efficiently off a 15 am breaker. I just want to be safe and efficient when plugging into a 110 outlet at another location...(ie) friends/relative homes.

Regards,
    David

5. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

I asked this question recently and was looking for one to have. And as others mentioned, there's no point in having a second Level 1 charger unless you park overnight at different places frequently.

Otherwise, it's best to just use the level 1 at home and use public level 2 or just HV mode.

The amazon ones even though they are rated for 16amps should be fine. Not an electrician but 16amps is the maximum power they can draw. My understanding is that it depends on how much the car actually pulls, and from what I know, it's not even 12amps. They come with a NEMA 5-15 plug, which is rated for max of 15amps.

6. David A

David A Guest

Thanks for the replies. Food for thought. Since I do have opportunities to plug in elsewhere I will look at the link Damon Ledet provided since it can function as both L-1 and L-2 should I ever decide on a NEMA 6-20p outlet in my garage.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ryd994

ryd994 Active Member

The "charger" are just circuit breaker. The real charger controlling battery is built in.
    High rated charger just means they can pass on more power, not they will draw more.
    All charger signals how much they can supply, but your car decides how much to pull.

David A likes this.
  9. David A

David A Guest

I tried the 16 amp dual charger with 120v adapter on the 15 amp circuit. The kill-a-watt meter showed the unit was pulling 14.70 amps. Plug and outlet got warm pretty quick...so I pulled the plug and boxed it up for return. No harm no foul.

Apparently the Clarity will pull max power it can from the charging cable/block. Hence I assume the cable/block native to the Clarity is maxed out at 12 amps capability. When using the supplied charger, no warmth is felt at all and the kill-a-watt meter shows ~10.64 amps pulled while charging.

It was worth a shot so now we know. I'll keep ciphering on my options.

David

10. ryd994

ryd994 Active Member

Somewhere in this forum, somebody mentioned that continues rate should be marked rate * 0.8
    15*0.8=12
    20*0.8=16
    Seems 16A charger are supposed to be used with 20A sockets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772#Signaling
    In theory, you can modify somewhere in the box to change the pwm ratio from 25% to 20% and derate it.
    But nah, I won't recommended hacking a high voltage appliance

David A likes this.
  11. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

There are quite a few original Clarity chargers on Ebay for between $250-$400. Personally, I wouldn't pay for it. Once you use a Level 2 Charger, you wouldn't want to go back to L1 charger. They are so sloooowwww. :)

David A likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ryd994

ryd994 Active Member

wait……
    If it's designed for 20A sockets, it should use 5-20 plugs instead of 5-15

14. David A

David A Guest

ryd994...you'd think...it comes with a 120v pigtail which plugs into a 5-15 outlet. Good news is, I realized quickly it will require a 20 amp breaker...period. Already boxed up and ready to ship back.