Couple of weird things about charging my Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by amy2421, Oct 24, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

I have noticed some anomalies when charging my Clarity lately...

At the beginning, it would charge to 100% (according to HondaLink app). Lately, it charges to 99% and then stops charging, more often than not. Twice I have pressed the "start charging" button in the app and it will start charging again for about 30 seconds and then stop at 100%. I know it is taking in more electricity because the ChargePoint app shows the blip of the energy draw on the usage graph.

The other weird thing is when I use vehicle pre-conditioning, when plugged into Level 2 charger, in the summer it would sometimes start charging again. In the colder weather, one time it charged as it was pre-conditioning, and was at 100% when I left for the day, even after preconditioning. But now I've had a couple of instances where it is plugged in, and I turn on the preconditioning and it drains part of the electric range without signalling the charger to start topping it up. Yesterday I left with only 2/3 range on the electric side, which was annoying considering that it was plugged in as it was preconditioning and could have easily topped up to 100%.

Anyone else experiencing similar phenomena?

Thanks!

ClarityDoc likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. M.M.

M.M. Active Member

In the several months I've had mine the app shows either 100% or 99% completely at random. Some variability is normal, and that 1% is not significant in any practical way, nor does it indicate any sort of problem with the charge routine. If 30 seconds of additional charging is enough to make it show 100%, it isn't actually 99% anyway--it's really 99.9%. The app just doesn't have an extra digit of precision.

The preconditioning thing, however, sounds like a problem and misbehavior, although I haven't experienced it myself.

Question: Do you have the Clarity set to only charge at a certain time? My guess (based on the very dumb logic it uses to charge in a time window) is that if you do it will drain thee battery while preconditioning, at least if it's outside the charge-time window.

amy2421 likes this.
  4. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

OK I think you hit the nail on the head with the charging schedule. I tested it today and turned on the preconditioning 10 minutes before my charging schedule ends. It started preconditioning and started charging at the same time. 10 minutes later, charging stopped while the preconditioning continued, so the battery started depleting. The only way to top up the battery was to press the "Start Charging Now" button in my charger's App, then it started charging again while it was preconditioning.

Thanks! :)

5. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

On another note, my car went from inside temp of 5 degrees (40 F) to 21 degrees (72 F) in less than 15 minutes! :)

6. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

With temperature changes, what was 100% at 50F, might register at 99% when the temperature is at 90F. I've noticed in the past month that I arrive home and the percentage is 48%, but a few hours later (the battery has cooled) I look at the app to decide what the charge schedule should be (to stop short of 100%), the percentage might report as 49%. So when the battery is warmer, it will report a lower percentage than when the battery is cooler.

7. To remove this ad click here.