Cool weather in Dixie, Fall is arriving

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Sep 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Just a reminder, with the cool weather, it is time to top off the tires. It is 58 F (14 C) in Huntsville AL which means all the tires will be about 3-5 psi low and need to be brought up.

My practice is to set them to the maximum sidewall pressure. Decades of Prius driving confirms: (1) better steering; (2) better water on road handling, and; (3) longest life on the tires.

Modern radial tires have a belt that prevents abnormal wear as LONG as the alignment is checked yearly. On caution, after an alignment, the tire shop will be set the tires to the door jam pressure. So I borrow their hose and use my tire gauge to air them up again.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

I'll second that motion. When winter sets in in Ontario Canada the tire pressure can drop so much that the low pressure warning light comes on. I keep a pressure gauge in one of the door pockets and use a bicycle pump of all things!

4. Had that same experience of "door jam pressure" after I picked up a screw in one tire and stopped by CAA shop for repair. They refused to put more than the indicated pressure of 36 pounds even though the other 3 were at 42.
    When I arrived back in town the Hyundai dealer topped it off to 42 as requested, no questions and no charge.

mho likes this.
  5. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Anyone experiencing cool weather, please send some of it my way. Near-record heat is heading for the San Francisco Bay Area starting today.

Fastnf likes this.