Climate Control and Garage

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dan Albrich, Nov 7, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Sorry- hazarding two posts/questions same night:

So I've heard with ICE cars one must be careful not to ever use automatic climate control or whatever its called to have the car at like 70 degrees when you get in if inside a garage. The obvious bit being carbon monoxide.

So my question: Since the Clarity is primarily electric, and if I can guarantee a full charge or nearly full charge before my wake-up time, is it OK to schedule the car to change to 70 degrees at launch-time? This for a car inside a garage. Now my car only gets to 50 degrees so I'm perhaps asking a dumb question in that it isn't terribly cold to begin with.

But if its the case there's no risk of carbon monoxide or other downside to doing this in a garage I might.

-Dan

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Not a dumb question at all; it’s a great safety question. I think we are OK on this for a couple of reasons.
    -No one has reported ICE coming on with preconditioning On this forum to the best of my knowledge.
    -The preconditioning shuts off after 30 min.
    -There is no warning in the manual about possible ICE operation during preconditioning and the resulting CO2 problem in closed spaces. Certainly the lawyers would have put that in but then again we’ve seen that Honda doesn’t seem to know a lot about how their car behaves in the real world. So maybe that’s not as strong a point as the other two.

BTW, this reminded me to check my CO2 alarm in the house and to make a reminder to chage the battery at Christmas. Every house should have one at least in the bedrooms.
    Remember the old Hill Street Blues TV show, “Hey, lets all be safe out there!”.

4. I believe the battery is used for cooling or heating (electric heat pump) to a specified range. We have no control of the temperature setting, it is a range (discussed in the forum with charts). The battery must be charged above a certain point or the Clarity must be plugged into a Level 2 charger (EVSE).

5. KentuckyKen

Absolutely, but the PHEV does not have a heat pump, just ac compressor and resistance element in the coolant loop to the heater core. And you can precondition on a Level one EVSE, you just can’t do it while its charging.

6. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

Rick, BTW a level 1 charger works for pre-conditioning as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Thinking about this it occurs to me that using the remote climate system while the plug is in makes a lot of sense. We would use it on cold winter mornings. Whether 120V or 240V the car would be fully charged from being plugged in overnight. So the heating element would be powered from the house power, not from the battery. As in all cases it is good to minimize any extra load on the battery so as to improve it's lifespan.

9. Thank you Richard:

10. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Yes but isn't it true that the level 1 charger only works if the battery is 100% charged first?

11. Richard_arch74

JD, From my experience the pre-conditioning works while plugged in and less than 100% SOC. See attached screen shots from a few days ago. Screenshot_20181029-172644_HondaLink.jpeg Screenshot_20181029-170031_HondaLink.jpeg

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

It will definitely precondition from EVSE power on less than a full battery; it just can’t charge and precondition on a Level 1 EVSE at the same time.

14. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Isn't this the correct behavior we've seen for preconditioning with L1 EVSE: 1) If currently charging on L1, it won't turn on preconditioning when requested; 2) If plugged in but not charging on L1, it will turn on precondition when requested and once preconditioning starts, charging will also start.

15. Richard_arch74

Steve, you are correct. Maybe @ KentuckyKen means is that the SOC doesn't "increase" while pre-conditioning is on. The rate of charge is approximately the demand from pre-conditioning.

16. KentuckyKen

It’s been 6 months since I used my Honda supplied level 1 EVSE so I’m a little fuzzy on how it worked. I thought that during level 1 charging it would not precondition if requested by Honda Link but would if requested by a schedule from Honda Link if the schedule began after charging was complete/stopped. And if course it will when requested manually anytime after charging is over. And in both cases it won’t run down the battery thus preserving your charge and range. I’m not 100% sure on that. Perhaps someone who is currently level 1 charging will be kind enough to verify.

17. Richard_arch74

"I thought that during level 1 charging it would not precondition if requested by Honda Link"

@KK, if the car is currently charging, you are correct. However, if you want to tell (manually) the HL app to start pre-conditioning the car you first have to tell the app to stop charging. You are then ready to tell the app to start PC'ing and then the car will start charging again once PC'ing starts.
    Hope that clears it up.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  18. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

[​IMG]

KentuckyKen likes this.
  19. KentuckyKen

Thanks for the info. Does it then start charging when PC starts (as in concurrently) or when PC stops?
    I had thought the 12 Amp OEM Level 1 EVSE wasn’t powerful enough to do both at the same time.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  20. Richard_arch74

The charging starts nearly simultaneously with the PC'ing starting. On all occasions the car had the same SOC after PC'ing was completed.

21. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

Don't remember if this was mentioned earlier. But on 240V, if you are charging and start PC, after 30min, PC will stop and charging will stop also. I found this out when charging at the dealer's 240V charger while sitting in the warm car so I have to re-start the charging after every 30 minutes

22. Richard_arch74

I'm sure that's how it works on L1 too.