Clarity Wind Noise

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Geor99, Jan 15, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

Do me a favor, the next time some of you are going 65+ mph, roll down both rear windows half way while keeping the front windows up.

I was really surprised at the noise level. I am curious if this is common.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. dnb

dnb Active Member

You'll give yourself a headache quickly doing that, you need some air able to come in from the front and out the back

4. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Most highly aerodynamic cars have really annoying noises if you open windows while driving. Pulse shock is common if you don't open opposing windows, etc. I haven't tried the Clarity specifically at speed, but the Volt was terrible. I usually rolled down all the windows to compensate, but would put windows up at higher speeds.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  5. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

It literally sounds like a helicopter. I thought for sure that I had a flat tire. And it is totally silent with the windows up.

6. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

I will have to Google pulse shock, but that sounds like a good term for what it was like:)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

9. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Yes, I've noticed this in all of my recent cars. You have to at least crack a front window to not get the pulsating wind sound.

10. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Might not be a technical term, but what I call it :)

11. ab13

ab13 Active Member

You will get air oscillations like that if the airflow gets trapped inside. You have to have a means of the air going in and then out. So usually crack a front window along with the rear being open. This happens in most vehicles I've been in, and I believe it's a standing wave.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

When my window was broken out due to theft I had this happen and of course it was cool out and I had to go fast. I found cranking the fan on high (Temp LO and AC off) offset it enough to go 65 with the bag covering my window without flapping. It was horrible before I found that above 40mph.

14. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

It looks like a pulse shock is for supersonic speeds, but I like it's use here as well:)

15. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I got that same pulsing pressure wave in my old 2008 CRV when I rolled down the rear windows only. So it’s normal and not due to any aerodynamic shaping of our Claritys.

16. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

I guess that I haven't had a 4 door car in over 20 years:)

LegoZ likes this.
  17. JulianClarity

JulianClarity Active Member

Just close the windows on highways

18. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

It's not a big deal. It just sounded like a helicopter and had unusual vibration.
    The fact that it took me 4 months to notice it shows how often I have the windows down.
    For some reason, I was letting a friend smoke a cigarette so I had the rear windows down in the cold to air out the smoke.
    My last 4 windowed car actually had a little device in it that you could push and it would get red hot for people to light cigarettes:)

My 25 year old neace was fascinated by this. Our 20 year difference often seems like a lot.

19. JulianClarity

JulianClarity Active Member

But isn't fuel economy the only thing we care once we drive a clarity? I drive 2 miles under the speed of being ticketed in any other cars, but like an old grandpa in this. Anyone forces me to open a window on a higjway will be kicked out, :)
    All Japanese cars have cigarette lighters.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

20. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Clarity = Honda = Japanese? This car has no cigarette lighter. Just 12V ports that you could put a lighter in if you got one separately.

21. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

But the owner's manual says not to use the 12v ports for a cigarette lighter. page 58.

22. AlAl

AlAl Active Member

Buffeting, is the technical term. Found the clarity way less irritating, compared to the G1 Volt

23. occphv

occphv New Member