Clarity PDI

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Alex800st, Apr 25, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

PDF document on page 13 says
    "To check battery pack capacity in this vehicle, you must use the i-HDS. Just go to the Electric Powertrain Data List, and look at the Battery Pack Capacity signal. If its value reads less than 36.6 Ah and the battery is still under warranty, the battery is eligible for warranty replacement. "

36.6 Ah does not make any sense to me.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

For the purposes of battery capacity, kWh = Ah * Volts

4. Actually, Ah x V = Wh.
    56Ah x 310V = 17,360Wh.
    Divide by 1000 to get KWH.

Cash Traylor likes this.
  5. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

What about 36.6 ah doesn’t make sense? It’s just a value spit out by the computer which has been established by Honda, as a battery test and warranty replacement threshold.

Cash Traylor likes this.
  6. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

So that number should be on the copy of the PDI repost that was given to me?
    I've got 2 pages, one is for Honda Accord (Accord crossed, and Clarity handwritten) and another one for Honda Insight Clarity.
    That tells me that they saw the car first time in their life, and battery test is nowhere to be found on these two pages.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Clarity Owner's Phantom Pre-Delivery-Inspection Club (PPDI Chapter #36.6) Search the forum, you will find you are in grand company. Very few got the inspection, very few dealers can spell Clarity, and most of us would wager that your "Body Plugs" (item #8) are likely missing unless you were oddly lucky. If a dealer actually does the PDI, and gives the report to the owner - they are rare and should be rewarded with at least a smile. :confused:o_O:mad:

I would not have known about the PDI doc without this forum, and for me the credit goes to @KentuckyKen, as far as I remember.

Cheers,

Cash

9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

It’s been a long time ago, but I think I got the Clarity specific PDI from a treasure trove of articles and sources that @AnthonyW found. I’ll give him the credit for finding it in the first place. (At least, I hope it was him.) I was just the first to read and post it for everyone and the first to realize it gave the battery warranty metric of 36.6 Ahr that we’ve all been searching for.
    My dealer told me that I didn’t get it because I bought in February of 2018 and the PDI came out in March. And of course you can believe every thing a dealer tells you. ;)

FWIW, the most glaring and common omissions of the PDI for the Clarity seem to be not having the plugs installed and not having the tire pressure set to 36 psi from the shipping 60 psi.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Cash Traylor likes this.
  10. 60psi is an interesting choice, given that max pressure on the sidewall states 44psi.

There surely is some Global Harmonious System explanation for the practice. Or, it could be because American Honda dealers don’t have air compressors or electricity to run them, so Honda did them a favor by only requiring them to let some air out of the tires.

Fortunately we can just press a few buttons and get to the individual tire pressure display screen. But the over-pressure warning would probably alert us first.

Oops, those features are on the 5 year old Jeep.

Cash Traylor likes this.
  11. The sidewall rating is presumably the max cold sustained pressure a car being driven should be pumped up to. All manufacturers, AFAIK, ship and store their cars at a higher pressure since they are only be driven very slowly, not being driven much, and the higher pressure reduces the chance of a flat spot developing on the tire from sitting weeks or months in one position with the weight of the car on it.

I'm pretty sure that Honda has either spoken with Michelin and has a high pressure number from them, had their own engineers figure it out, or there is a rule of thumb they have used (e.g. no more than double the sidewall rating).

Arguable, given that many if us are essentially long-term storing our cars now, we should consider 60psi for when it's sitting weeks

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Wowzers! That’s some fabulous speculation.

Leave them at 36psi. It will last for months.

14. craze1cars

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  15. craze1cars

Nowhere in the PDI document does it state that the dealer is to document or inform the customer of the battery test results. It just says they’re supposed to check it, ensure it is above 36.6, and it tells them how. I know of nobody here who has obtained this figure without explicitly requesting the results.

Anyone who wants to know this number should just take car to dealer and request the test be done.

16. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I did. The number was on the PDI form the dealer provided, no questions asked. It was 55.X. All of the items on the PDI form were actually done by my dealer. And they charged it up before delivery. The only faux pas was they opened and used the EVSE that came with the car and not the one hanging on the dealership charge pedestal. No biggie. I sold the car last winter and gave the PDI form to the buyer, along with the window sticker.

17. craze1cars

Attentive dealer! Good to hear there is one lol...

18. TomL

TomL Active Member

"...very few dealers can spell Clarity..." That's a good one.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  19. I wonder if the PDI completion rate has improved over the years. I know I let my dealer have it on the satisfaction survey for that along with not doing all the needed software updates.

insightman likes this.
  20. Francofun

Francofun Member

Well, I just got my Clarity delivered to my home today (thanks to the Covide-19 crisis). I explicitly asked the dealer for the traction battery test results. Sure enough, they gave me a printout of the 12V battery test! They delivered the car with less than 25% capacity...
    I also asked them to make sure the "body plugs" were installed... I did not find them in the trunk, so I supposed it was done. Do you feel it is a safe assunption?
    That still leaves wondering what else they missed...

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Check the pressure in your Clarity's tires. Based on the other PDI deficiencies, they might still have the 60 psi of Japanese air they came across the Pacific with.

22. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I'd be checking for the underbody plugs and tire PSI for sure.

23. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new car! There is a mountain of information on this forum! The search feature is a very useful tool as a the new owner curve has been addressed frequently by some very insightful (pun) people. A few even started the CBT (Kentucky) but that is of dubious membership. Something about expensive bottles of Kentucky Bourbon needing to be shipped to some address or something... :)o_O:rolleyes:;)

The body plugs are very easy to check for - the doc shows where and they are black rubber (actually geolast I think) but feel like rubber. They are not big but you will easily find the holes if they are not there.

Here is the BCT in a single page you can print and put on the dash when you want this test run later. With the long delay between oil changes, most here seem to take these cars in annually - so getting one once a year is no big deal, and while the car is under the EV Powertrain warranty most are of the opinion there should never be a charge for them. I have watched them do the test, takes literally 2 minutes if they know the diag page to find. They are the only way you would ever know you qualify for a new battery under warranty, the car will not tell you (no error code at 65% life left). I attached the tech docs about that just for reference, it will tell you at <25% but at that point the reason they are concerned is due to the design of the drive train, it really has to have an HV battery to function (it's the Clarity's "low gear") and at SOH's below 25% the battery is no longer reliable (there are some odd BMS behaviors I am looking at right now, but that is for another thread).

Cheers,

Cash

Attached Files: