Clarity Engine/Motor Break-in Recommendation

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by airwalker82, Jan 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. airwalker82

airwalker82 New Member

Is there a recommended break-in period for the Clarity's gas engine and electric motor? For instance, should you avoid going over a certain speed for a period?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Page 91 in the Owners Guide says be cool for 600 miles:
    • During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as to not damage the power system.
    • Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km). You should also follow this when the brake pads are replaced.
    However, many new Clarity owners become so enamored with traveling under EV power they never use their engine in the first 600 miles. The Clarity won't tell you when you've run the engine 600 miles--even if you run in HV Mode all the time, some of those miles will be EV miles. So it's up to you to figure out, which won't be easy. I simply avoided "sudden acceleration" for 6 months, assuming that would be good enough.

If you haven't ordered your free Owners Manual yet, see page C6 in the Owners Guide. It contains much more information about your Clarity than the Owners Guide. You need to order it within 6 months of purchase. The PDF version of the Owners Manual is easier to search. You can get it here.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  4. airwalker82

airwalker82 New Member

Thanks!

5. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

I rolled my eyes when I read that. If somebody slams on their brakes in front of me, I'm damn well ignoring the manual and slamming on my brakes too.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I think they mean don't take your Clarity to track days for the first 200 miles.

7. To remove this ad click here.