clarity adaptive cruise vs other hondas

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by couch8p, Jan 31, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. couch8p

couch8p New Member

Hi,

I have a 2018 honda clarity and its a great car but when im driving in stop and go traffic it sometimes breaks hard for no reason when Im using the adaptive cruise control instead of coming to a slow stop. Does any one have any experience with other Hondas. Do they all do this? or is this specific to the clarity ?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I owned a 2016 Civic with Sensing that I drove for 74,000 miles. In my experiences that car reacted exactly the same at my Clarity does with ACC and LKAS. So I feel it's just how Honda's system works...not Clarity exclusive.

The only difference with Clarity I will comment on is the anemic acceleration after you get into clean air and the car is ready to recover speed....but this is only an issue in Econ mode -- it accelerates at a better pace in non-econ or Sport mode, so that one quirk has nothing to do with the Sensing package.

All that said, I have never had either car brake hard "for no reason." I have seen it over-react (in my opinion) to other cars in its path, cross traffic, cars in adjacent lanes running very close to or drifting over the center line, and even oncoming traffic on curved 2 lane roads has triggered a beep/brake pump event. But the car had a reason...it saw "something"...as did I...though I knew darn well that the "something" it saw was not a threat, it hit the brakes kinda hard temporarily and almost instantly released them after quickly realizing "oops..no threat" -- which is/was an annoyance I admit, but it never made me feel unsafe and it never did anything silly like bring the car to an abrupt stop. And I did fully understand why the car pumped the brakes, even if I disagreed with the logic to do so.

I also really don't think it's a good system to even bother engaging in stop and go traffic. So I guess I can't fully describe how the car would react in that circumstance since I never use it when traffic is like that. The way it drives then annoys me -- I can certainly do better. So in my opinion it's best used for interstate or highway driving at speed, following other cars and keeping pace with traffic. And works pretty well for that, with certain occasional annoyances and glitches that I fully acknowledge exist.

The system does not replace driving the car and being attentive at all times. It's just an anti-fatigue assist system.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    V8Power, MPower and KevinW like this.
  4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I'm wondering two things. Do you have your following distance set to long it short? Second more likely it is the commission mitigation system, not the ACC. Turn it off and see what happens.

5. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Another thought. If I use ACC in the city the car will lose sight of a car ahead if the car is stopped before it comes into range. In that case the car is happy to continue along at the ACC Set speed and will crash into the stopped car - but... Collision Mitigation will slam on the brakes at the last second.

Ceetee likes this.
  6. ab13

ab13 Active Member

I have experience driving two different Toyotas with this feature. They both have jerky braking and slow acceleration in the farthest follow distance and ECON mode. I use it now in medium or short follow distance and non-ECON mode. It is pretty good that way, it seems to work best at the short follow distance.

I would suspect Honda's system is similar since they are using similar systems from the tier 1 suppliers (Continental, Denso, Mobileye/Intel, etc..). In the coming couple of years vehicles will start offering the newest systems (beyond what is available today).

couch8p likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. couch8p

couch8p New Member

Thanks for the advice I tried adjusting these things and it didnt make a difference. Just something ill get used to it seems

9. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

It works well as long as other drivers don't change lanes too often, for example on San Mateo toll bridge, where everyone mostly keep their lane, I used ACC in stop and go traffic for the entire 10 miles or so. When there is a lot of lane change, none of the current ACC systems from any manufacturer is safe. The most dangerous situation is when the car in front of you suddenly changes lane to avoid stopped traffic in your lane.

Another way to deal with stop and go traffic and cars poping in and out of your lane is to use sport mode and 3 or 4 regen setting. You can control the car with accelerator 90% of the time, I find this much more relaxing than unpredictable ACC or two pedal driving.

Peter CC and David Towle like this.
  10. S L .

S L . Active Member

when acc is on and the car stops completely, I need to lightly tap the accelerator pedal for the car to move again. I read in some toyota forums that they have a resume button on the steering wheel that will make the car move again after a full stop. Do we have a button like that in the Clarity?

When I press on the brake pedal the acc turns off, is there a way to keep it on even after I hit the brakes?

11. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Yes. Press the RES(ume) button I n the cruise control. The car will begin moving again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Clarity850

Clarity850 New Member

Owner's manual page 405.
    Press the RES/+ or - /SET button, or depress the accelerator pedal.

14. Clarity850

Clarity850 New Member

Honda vehicles in same model year should use same Honda Sensing package, maybe OEM by Denso, so the ACC in Honda vehicles may be same.

15. Clarity850

Clarity850 New Member

The different should be in different vehicles' system firmware/software.

16. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

What they don't tell you is that when you press the Resume button, it not only starts the car rolling again, it adds one mph to the set speed.

17. Clarity850

Clarity850 New Member

In stop status, Press the RES/+ won't add one mph, it just start the car. "RES/resume" only, No "+".

18. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

My Clarity adds 1 mph whenever I press the Res button, regardless of circumstances. I was in stop-and-go traffic once and got perturbed with how long it took the car to get going again on its own after stopping with LSF. Sometimes I pressed the accelerator to start up again, sometimes I used the RES button. Each time I used the button, the set speed was increased by 1 mph. Maybe yours doesn't do that, but mine does.

19. dnb

dnb Active Member

Does it say "STOPPED"? If it does then resume will, resume. Otherwise it will work as a +. I think there is a 5-10 second timer for when you come to a full stop before it puts up that stopped message and will then require you to manually tell it to move.

20. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

My car will brake occasionally when the car in front of me has exited my lane (no longer in my lane), and then starts slowing down. Either on freeway exits or turn lanes. The car is also very slow to respond to driver input to correct (accelerate) when this happens. Very irritating. I am not a fan of ACC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Clarity850

Clarity850 New Member

You may drive with ECO mode. For quick respond in freeway, you should drive with SPORT mode.

Thomas Mitchell likes this.
  22. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

Yes.

23. S L .

S L . Active Member

How about keeping the acc on after braking, even though the car does completely stop?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs