Charging with a three-phase 16A / 400V charger - problem.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Tomek, Jan 14, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

I am charging the car with the charger as in the title. 20A overcurrent protection on the wall, the charger is set to 16A (automatic). The car shows a power consumption of 3 kW instead of 11 kW. The charger shows a flashing green light (correct charging) next to the red one (charging problem). How to understand? One or two phases not working?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Your car does have the 3-phase onboard charger doesn't it...?

4. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

OK, now I know. Why do Hyundai materials write about the external EVSE 3-phase, if the built-in charger is 1-phase and has a maximum power of 7.4 kW? I should have a 32A single phase EVSE then I would charge the car in 10 hours to full.

5. mikeselectricstuff

Depends on the model year, and possibly also region. The 2018 had single-phase 7kW, the 2020 model has 3-phase 11kW.
    I believe there were some early 2020's with the big satnav screen that had single-phase chargers fitted - if in doubt, pull off the engine cover and look at the rating label on the charger ( the box on top of the motor)

electriceddy likes this.
  6. mikeselectricstuff

I've heard a few reports of problems with the 3-phase chargers, so it's possible a faulty one could only charge at 3kW on a 3-phase EVSE

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

No, it looks like the error was on our side. Since we got a car with a built-in 7.2kW charger, we unnecessarily bought an external 11kW EVSE charger - because it will use only one phase with a maximum current of 16A, so it will charge the battery with approx. 3kW. If we got a car with a built-in 11kW 3-phase charger (Platinum version), then the 3-phase EVSE would make sense. If we even bought a 22kW 3-phase EVSE, then we would have about 6kW charging from it. Basically, we can replace the EVSE (or buy the proper one). Unless the dealer would agree to replace the built-in charger for 11kW - but I doubt it very much ;-)

9. Trying to piece this all together, if your house has 3-phase power then you might be limited by regulations to 16A per circuit which explains the choice of a 3-ph EVSE. I believe this is why Hyundai offer the 3-ph option.