charging question

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ProspectiveBuyer, Jul 30, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I've been charging my car at work on 120 Volt outlets. But there are a few 220 or 240 chargers, but the people who use those seem to have different adapters. Are there attachments we can buy for our charging cables that would give us access to these different plugs? Or are they just designed for different model cars?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Your Clarity uses a J1772 charging coupler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

The J1772 is an industry standard coupler. There are a few other types of couplers out there. The Tesla coupler comes to mind, and you cannot use that one on the Clarity.

Just in case I totally misunderstand your question, and your asking about the electrical outlet, and not the coupler. The charger that came with your car is a level 1 (120V only) charger. You can only plug that into a standard Electrical outlet. You can buy level 2 (220V) chargers that will charge your car faster, but you would have to find a 220v electrical outlet to plug it into.

4. Thanks. Do you know where I'd buy the charging coupler or how much they cost?

5. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

If you are asking about charging from a 240v outlet, you need to buy a charger to plug in to the outlet and use with your car.
    I have one, but it's a little bulky and you need the correct adapter for whatever 240v outlet you run into.
    If you see car chargers at work that have a different connector than your car (like Tesla chargers or 400v fast chargers) then those won't work for your Clarity.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  6. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

eBay sells everything.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

But often for a higher price than Amazon.

10. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

I buy a ton of stuff online. eBay is almost always cheaper than Amazon.

11. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Two 2 word phrases for us cheapskates:
    Open Box and Warehouse Deal
    Open box is how I got my ChargePoint for $400.
    Boy have we hijacked this thread!

12. To remove this ad click here.