Charge rate drop off curve before and after the 960 SERVICE CAMPAIGN US

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Joev, Jun 20, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Charge rate drop off curve before and after the
    HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY MONITORING UPDATE
    (SERVICE CAMPAIGN 960) US

On our road trip from Florida to New York, before the SERVICE CAMPAIGN 960 update, using the Electrify America charging network, we found that the charge rate drop off curve (blue line on the graph) to be fairly accurate.

Hyundai updated the software on our Kona, but we have not tried a DC fast charge yet.

I did find someone in Germany that had the update that shows the new charge rate drop off curve (green line on the graph).

According to my calculations, and using my previous road trip as a guideline, the time to charge from 10% to 80% was about 50 minutes.
    My calculations after the update comes out to about 45 minutes for the same charge using the new charge rate drop off curve.

I don't know what the curve is for a 50kw charger, we only used the 125kw and up.

I’ve only put about 200 miles on since the update and don’t see any difference in range or performance. I have found that the car “wakes up” to check/charge the 12 volt battery and do other maintenance. Don’t really like that since I can’t change it like before with the “Aux 12v battery” setting.

New drop off rate.png

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I suspect the curve in the attachment represents something higher than a 50kw charger as the charge profile peaks well past that. My recent experience on a 250 kw rated petrocanada charger(likely only 150 max potential delivery) I observed the following after the software update: The charge session went from 5% to 61% SOC . The BMS battery temperature at the start of the session was 25 degrees C. The charger immediately started at 68 kW slowly ramped up to a max charge delivery of 75 kW at 32% SOC and the ramped down to 70-72 kW at 40% SOC and ramped down again to 58 KW at 59% SOC. The session ended with 40.6 kWh delivered over 34 minutes for and average of 71.6 kW delivery over the entire session. This is consistent with your German poster's charge profile except with the very beginning where I suspect their battery temperature was under the optimal 25 degrees C. Take home from the new changes seems to be that the max delivery has been reduced from 78 kw to 75 kw( not sure if this is a consequence of the electrify america thing). The delivery at the highest 70Kw rate seems to last a little longer and overall charge session was shorter/cheaper( if charged by time delivery).

SkookumPete likes this.
  4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone in the US has used Electrify since the update.. I'm tempted to run down my battery and give it a try without the Hyundai plan and see if the car now will fall into the 75kwh and under price range or if it will charge Tier 2 rate.. If it will charge Tier 2, I will immediately stop and switch to the Hyundai plan and try again to check on the new charging curve.

5. You will likely be the guinea pig as we all await your results :)

FloridaSun likes this.
  6. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I'm at 78% right now and I'm still working from home.. It will be a couple of days until my charge is low enough to test the new charging curve..

apu likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Well hurry up and get crackalackin :)