Changing a tire on a kono ev

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by GPM432, Mar 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I know it's seems so early about changing a tire on Kona EV I have a spare donut for it. I think I'm prone to flat tires for some reason is there a spot to put a jack. Unfortunately they give you that tire repair goop to fix it till you find a tire shop and then when you get it fixed the tire guys curse the stuff and sometimes charge you double.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Important to read the manual if you are having the Kona EV towed for a flat etc. i.e.
    The Hyundai manual indicates that when towing the Kona it should be on a platform towing truck, or without the wheels (both front and back) touching the ground (using wheel dollies).

4. robxb

robxb Active Member

From what I've heard, that goop is generally just sort of a last resort to get the car to the shop and the tire replaced. If you want them to repair it, I'd recommend getting a a kit like this, and just filling it with air through the air compressor that plugs into the car (keep reading below image).
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure if the jacking point is on the crimp like most cars, but if you definitely want to get a jack that is compact, I'd recommend something like this. By the way, what size donut did you get, and what actually fits in there? A full size spare wouldn't fit, eh? I don't have my Kona yet, but am considering a spare... Generally if a full size fits back there, I just keep one of my winter tires back there (and vice-versa the other half of the year).
    [​IMG]

5. Got the same plug repair kit , still researching a suitable jack . Preferably a small hydraulic rated for 2 tons - not sure about those scissor type jacks. Curb weight is 4000 lbs on the Ultimate. Last thing I need is to have the scissor break and stick into the pack which is literally inches from the jack points.
    When I used a scissor jack on the Leafs, it would lift the whole side of the car and Kona's wheelbase is 100 mm shorter than Leaf.
    Or wait and get these:

robxb likes this.
  6. robxb

robxb Active Member

You just gotta remember that when you're jacking up the car, you're not jacking up 4000lb...you're only jacking up ~1/4 of that. Most scissor jacks are rated for 1.5 tons, which is 3000 pounds, so there shouldn't be anything to worry about :)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. robxb

robxb Active Member

PS. I highly doubt those will be low rolling resistance....for the moment ;) heheh

9. A previous video said it was being track tested on a Chevy Bolt.

10. robxb

robxb Active Member

:eek: Consider me intrigued

11. To remove this ad click here.