Certified pre-owned 2018 Clarity?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mitch Bekritsky, May 26, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mitch Bekritsky

Mitch Bekritsky New Member

I'm looking to get my hands on a Clarity over on the east coast, but between the pandemic and their lack of popularity out here, it's proving to be a considerable challenge. Has anyone here bought a certified pre-owned Clarity recently? There are a couple available near me that look like they might be worthwhile. Does anyone have any thoughts on the model year, what a fair price might be (I've checked KBB and Edmund's already), and if they're happy with Honda's CPO program?

Any insights would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You started this thread while I was typing this into the Clarity Production Suspended thread, so I'll repeat it:

Of course, a CPO car won't be eligible for the $7,500 federal EV tax credit. So if you're in a position to take any or all of that $7,500 credit, you need to consider that. You could possibly get a new Clarity for less than a CPO Clarity.

Cash Traylor and Mitch Bekritsky like this.
  4. Mitch Bekritsky

And I replied on the other thread too! Thanks for the insight ;)

In case some people come to this thread directly, I'm linking your post and my reply.

5. Skynosaur

Skynosaur Member

Many pros and cons to this.
    The market value is about $25k and varies. Since it's CPO meaning you get more warranty coverage.
    Now to know a lot of people got into leasing a clarity and didn't like plugging it. So there are many low mileage deals out there. Since Honda just trying the market for plug ins. There is still a limit around.
    As far as mrsp vs CPO. Let say at base model $33k. If you qualify for the full $7500 that lands you $25,500 with 3yr warranty bumper to bumper, 5yr power train and 8yr battery. With CPO powertrain goes to 7yr. Now some dealers might tag on fees for CPO. So ask what the out the door price would be. Of course depending on trade, finance the final number changes.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Mitch Bekritsky likes this.
  6. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

The Clarity PHEV was offered nationally in 2018: The 2019 models were prioritized for the ZEV and CARB states and the 2020's seem be available only on the west coast or by "special order" - but I've read many, many posts on this and other forums about dealers' unwillingness to place special orders. The car has not been changed mechanically since it was introduced: There were a number of software fixes introduced during the first few months after introduction but nothing since. So, I'd say buying a used one back east would be a good idea - so long as the condition is good and the mileage is reasonable. Be certain, though, to have the dealer run the full diagnostic, including the "battery capacity test": If the capacity is between 52 and 55 you have a very healthy traction battery!

Mitch Bekritsky and JFon101231 like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mitch Bekritsky

Thanks Skynosaur and Kerbe, both very helpful!

I'm seeing CPO Touring models for ~$24k. Since MSRP there is just shy of $37k + TTL less the tax rebate and the NYS discount, I'd still end up around ~$31k unless I can get the dealer to let me take it off their hands for $3k - $4k less.

If, as Kerbe says, not much has changed since the 2018 model, it seems like a CPO is a smart choice -- I'd get something substantially equivalent to what I'd get in a new car for a decent price. I'm looking into 2 right now, one at 25k miles, the other at 11k. Both have been on the lot as CPOs since April 1, so their current price will hopefully be pretty flexible.

9. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

If it were me, I'd hammer on price for the CPO and never look back. Im not sure if "end of the month" matters on used cars like new but clearly in this environment with COVID and those cars which are directed at ppl with a commute which for some doesn't exist right now, I'd think they would play ball.

10. Mitch Bekritsky

That's what I'm thinking as well JFon...they're both around $24k now, I was planning to offer at $20.5k. Think I could go lower?

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  11. Skynosaur

Skynosaur Member

Unfortunately advertise price isn't mark up as much so asking about $2k off to start and landing about $1k is great.
    The price is base on what the market is going for. For an example. When you sell your car to the dealer. They calculate the risk on how long unless this vehicle leaves the lot. Offering you a number and marking it up not too much to move vehicles out. If there was really 2-3k room for used cars. That means your shopping at a mom and pop shop that gets their inventory from auctions. A reminder a CPO car is better than used car. It's been looked in and not sold as is. You get a warranty on them. Dealers offer oem parts while others offer third-party to make their money back.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Oh, it's quite true: Clarity was designed in 2015/16 and released in 2017 as a 2018 model year. Literally NOTHING has been changed except the descriptive wording on the Honda website which has lead some to believe that the AVAS tone was being replaced for 2020. I purchased my 2018 Base (December build) NEW in August of 2019 when it became clear that 2019 models were not coming to my part of the country. The MSRP was $34K and I paid $29K. The next day Honda announced that they were no longer going to be selling Clarity outside the west coast market and my dealer sold his only remaining Clarity - my car's twin - for full MSRP later that week. Last fall I drove from MS to PA/NY, stayed for two weeks and returned, and saw only one other Clarity during over 3K miles of driving - just outside Harrisburg, PA. I was asked, frequently, by passers-by if my Clarity was "the new Accord". As JFon said, above, dealers are not selling new cars at the moment, so CPOs are even more of an albatross around their fiscal necks - it should be a buyer's market!

14. Mitch Bekritsky

Thanks Skynosaur and Kerbe (again!), that's helpful. According to kbb, depending on the mileage, the lower end of 'Fair Market Range' is $21.5k - $22.5k. Since the CarFax report suggests it's been on the lot for a few months, I think I'll offer just below the bottom of the range and see where they talk me up to. The CPO is critical here -- I'm planing a move soon as well and want to have some peace of mind (and am willing to pay the premium for it).

15. Skynosaur

Skynosaur Member

If you made up your mind. That's good. Go in with what makes you comfortable paying and don't go what's comfortable in their end. Whatever happens on the numbers. Finance will try to make it back up on your credit or accessories. If you want to, check with your bank what APR you qualify for. And whatever APR it is. You can pay for it in full thru Honda financial services without any penalty. So that will save you on interest.

I want you to know the car doesn't have a spare tire but comes with a air compressor in the right side of the trunk. If I remember correctly, there is an expiration date on it. Also check if the plug in cable is included. Usually previous owners likes to takes things out including the manuel.

16. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

In my opinion shoot low if you aren't in a rush. I don't see it likely you are going to miss out and they will get sold to someone else... I'd say 21k is a good start. At some point freeing up cash (even if a slight loss) is better than sitting on the car another 2 months to make $500-1000 more. Especially right now where cash flow is tight

17. Mitch Bekritsky

Further along now with two CPO 2018 Touring Claritys at different dealers.

One was a lease with 11k miles and offered a fairly reasonable price, but I'm still trying to push lower to see if they have room to negotiate.

The other is weird...It was a fleet vehicle for the dealer, and when it was first put up for sale on January 10th, it was at 8k miles. When it was listed as certified, the mileage jumped to 25k miles. The dealer also tried to tack on a bunch of additional fees, but since I have a lower price on a car with fewer miles, I think I'm in a good position to negotiate.

The question, for anyone who can offer any insight, is whether the additional 17k miles added to the odometer over 3 months time is enough of a red flag by itself for me to be wary of the vehicle. Thoughts?

18. ab13

ab13 Active Member

Any chance you can ask them? Maybe they used it for deliveries or a road trip or something.

You should see if they have the ZEV state emissions warranty for this vehicle. If you are in a ZEV state, then you may have this warranty with the vehicle. I found this link to an older warranty doc, as I think there are more states with this warranty now.

https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/APL32586.pdf

19. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Its possible they listed it before having it on-hand and based it on info from last service vs reading actual mileage, or just a mix up between units.

20. Skynosaur

Skynosaur Member

The fleet vehicle should be their loaner or courtesy car.
    Some people like to service their car and go on road trips. Others just live or work far away. Now I know this isn't a TLC vehicle but I seen over 100k first year for TLC drivers.

21. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

Even with it being a pre-owned, and "certified" be sure you don't walk out without them performing and showing your the checks on the Clarity Specific Pre-Delivery Inspection (which includes the battery capacity check mentioned above). Just search the forum for PDI, it has been posted and re-posted hundreds of times so not going to do it again here. Be sure to check on the status of the service letters, if they have not been applied, then "question" the certified status of the vehicle, as it may be in paper only and not represent the actual "inspected" condition of the vehicle. Having the extra warranty is great, but part of the idea for certified is that they went through it and it is in good shape. Getting a car from a dealer that can't spell Clarity (no charger on premise is a big hint) only means you need to have a dealer that can, look it over while it is still under warranty.

Good luck, I love the car, hope all goes well for you!

Cash

22. Danks

Danks Active Member

FWIW - With features being equal from year to year, I would expect a typical 2019 to have fewer repair issues than a typical 2018 and the same to be true for a 2020 compared with a 2019. The manufacturer learns and applies the fixes in the factory that the earlier cars were getting at the repair shops.

23. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

While I generally agree with this statement for any car, and especially for the first year of a new model as compared to the second and third year, I will add that I have a 2018 and it has spent no time in the shop since purchase other than oil changes (where they also applied SBB updates). I guess they did change out an electronic valve of some type that was also part of an SBB a year or so ago, but they had ordered the part already and it didn't cause me any inconvenience, since it was done during an oil change visit. I continue to believe that PHEVs are just generally very reliable cars unless really poorly designed. I've owned 2 Chevrolet Volts for a total of 9 years now, and the Clarity approaching 2 years and they have been the most reliable cars I have ever owned. Never any of the three requiring service visits for any item other than routine maintenance. Some of that reliability may be because I average relatively high electric usage. The Clarity has become our travel/vacation car since it has a good bit of room, so it is currently averaging about 65% electric, the Volt is 95+% electric. For full disclosure, I did make one special trip back to the dealership immediately after I got the car home because it had a tiny kitten in it that needed removal, but that wasn't the car's fault. For the record, the kitten is now a grown cat that has a home with one of my co-workers, so it turned out pretty good for her. She also picked the right car to ride around in since the trip home and back was done on 100% battery.