Car Wash

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jolee, Jul 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jolee

Jolee Member

My son-in-law laughs at me, but what are your thoughts on taking my Kona EV through a car wash?:)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. nigels

nigels Active Member

I took a tour of a professional body shop, and I’ll never forget the guy referring to car washes as “automatic paint sanding machines” :)

The only other concern are the comments in the owner’s manual advising you not to use pressure washers on the front sensors.

Melly likes this.
  4. Jolee

Jolee Member

Thanks Nigels, I agree with your comments and I guess that's why I was asking. I'm 81 and would like to take the car through a car wash maybe once
    or twice a year if I could get away with it. Read the comments in the owner's manual and my real concern would be the pressure
    washers on the front sensors. Anyone tried this?

5. This is not a Model 3, you can take it to a car wash.

6. Waxing the car every 3-4 months will enable a you to give it an occasional "sponge bath" as the accumulated debris slides right off.
    I use this for the metal:
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mothers-brazilian-carnauba-cleaner-wax-liquid-0392868p.html#srp

and this for the plastic moldings (just need a few drops-it streaks if use too much):
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/silverwax-unpainted-mouldings-restorer-0396002p.html

BC-Doc likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I take the Kona EV through the local touchless car wash frequently.

9. Robrian7

Robrian7 New Member

I take my Kona EV through a touchless car wash once/week...maybe once every other week in the winter (New England driver here). :)

10. WMA

WMA New Member

I take mine through the high pressure scrubbing car wash every week but then I'm not one of those people that treat their car like a gem. To me it's just a car and I see lots of Tesla and other high end cars going through the car wash. It's just a car....why worry about small things in life just enjoy driving it.

Esprit1st and Jared Potter like this.
  11. I just sqitched back to handwashing and thereofre hand waxing the car simply becuase the auto car wash, even the wand ones, were getting so damned expensive. For the price of a hand washing kit and some premium waxes/buffer supplies I can wash my car in 20-30 minutes once a week for 1/20th the cost of an auto car wash that rarely gets the car actually clean.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. WMA

WMA New Member

There is no comparison as hand washing and cleaning is the best option. I'm just too lazy to spend 30mins washing my car. I know some people find it relaxing/enjoyable when they are cleaning.

14. I prefer to wash my car myself as I've had car washes cause damage on some of my previous vehicles. Of course, once the sponge comes out, Wife and daughter also want their cars washed. And there goes half my Saturday :-(

15. I hate hand washing it as well... It just looks so much better but more so I'm tired of spending $25 and having to complain each time that it didn't do jack **** to clean and getting a second round the machine to mediocrely do it better. I miss the days of the auto car washes that had the actual cleaning rollers and stuff!

16. And probably use a LOT less water;)

17. Actually I bet handwashing uses considerably more water then an auto car wash since, at least in my region, automatic car washes are required to recycle the majority of the water they use and are limited to like 10 litres of fresh water per wash... but ‍♂️‍♂️