Canadian Users - GPS Traffic

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by GV Ottawa, Aug 14, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GV Ottawa

GV Ottawa Member

Has anybody in Canada had any luck getting the traffic feature to work with the embedded GPS in the touring editions?

It does nothing for me. The car has been driven in Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City so far and there is no traffic functionality. However, I drove to Boston a couple of weeks ago and shortly after crossing the border I started getting traffic notices on the unit (so it clearly works!). I didn't have to do anything to turn this on, they just started appearing while driving on my route to Boston.

Online support at Garmin led me to install a Smartphone Link app on my phone but I can't find a way to connect / link my car's GPS to this app/phone. But that wasn't needed in Boston in any case as I had my phone in airplane mode so as not to incur roaming charges. Thus I don't think there is any point in using the Smartphone link app.

Curious what the experience is of other Canadian users ...

Thanks in advance,
    Gary

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

Yes, I have had traffic data appear on mine. I live just outside of the GTA. It isn't as good as Google Maps traffic data. I had a Garmin GPS unit before and I always found the traffic info was on more of a delay than Google maps.

I was playing around in the Nav functions yesterday and I saw some tweaks for traffic, I wonder if there is something you have to adjust to have the Canadian traffic data come on.

4. Alantn

Alantn Member

I find Waze is the best app for traffic and alerts in my area. It shows traffic as well as other features (stopped cars on shoulder, cop hiding, etc...). Of course, this is on Android Auto link.

5. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

Agreed, Waze is the best online nav app I have used. I planned on using my phone glue to the dashboard using my magnetic mount (not sure where yet, either center or near the driver door) for navigation as my ex-current car and use the center screen for something else (1st day having the car, it is set to the vehicle energy screen so I can see the electricity is coming and going, will probably change to something else in a couple of weeks)