Can not get ACC to work properly!

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ozy, Jan 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ozy

ozy Active Member

I'm a new owner but despite reading the manual and watching the video I could not get ACC to work today. I tried many times over a long drive and it never worked. Here's my understanding of the procedure. I get behind a vehicle who I want to follow; I then press "Main" and the ACC button; at this point I see the Set Vehicle Interval lines. However, the car does not shift into any kind of cruise control ie: it just starts to lose speed. I tried doing this procedure with my foot on and off the accelerator (neither one worked). At this point I held the Set Interval button for a second and converted to regular cruise control which seemed to work. Any advice appreciated.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

It sounds like you may just missed pressing the "Set" button to activate it.

Here's a detailed description of the same system used in the Honda Pilot (I believe of most the details are the same).

4. Cali65

Cali65 Member

Are you setting the speed by tapping the "up" "down" buttons after you hit "set up"??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

5. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Perhaps your problem is following distance, which may need to be longer than you're guessing. Try engaging the ACC without a car in front, then when you approach a vehicle you'll get a sense of how the following distance works.

6. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I think the OP is thinking that ACC is meant to "follow" a vehicle. OP, that is not how it works. It is similar to normal cruise control where you set a speeed that you want to go. The "Adaptive" part is that if you set it for 70 mph, and you come up to a car going 65, the car will automatically slow down, keeping you a certain interval from that car based on how many bars you choose. If that car speeds up to 75, you will then speed up to 70, and keep your speed at the setting you set it at (70), and the car in front will pull away from you. If you catch another car going slower, it will automatically slow down again, etc...

Mariner91 and MNSteve like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Don't be upset if ACC doesn't work, I find it to be near useless anyway. Even when set to the closest following distance it keeps you ridiculously far away from the car ahead, and its responses to minor speed changes of the car ahead are neck snapping to me. If this is how self driving cars are gonna be then I'm never getting one!

9. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I use ACC regularly and find it acceptable. I am surprised that the ACC in the Clarity does not work as well as the ACC in my CRV. They are the same system in terms of controls and documented operation, but the ACC in the CRV seems to work better in terms of ghosting the car ahead. The other thing that is different is that if I have just passed a vehicle by pushing on the accelerator to boost the speed past what the ACC is set, pull in front of the passed vehicle, and remove my foot from the accelerator ... the CRV version will just coast until the excess speed dissipates and then apply power to maintain the set speed, where the ACC in the Clarity will brake sharply to reduce the speed to what is set in the ACC. I find that "feature" very undesirable.

10. dnb

dnb Active Member

That sounds like the safe following distance... set it to 2 or 3 bars instead and it won't have nearly as much slow down / speed up issues because it has more buffer room.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That behavior is a feature for people descending long grades. The CR-V can use engine-braking going downhill, but the Clarity can't, which might explain why the ACC works differently in the Clarity. I agree that for all other situations the CR-V's ACC is better behaved.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Having just taken a 1500 mile drive (and return), I have to say I love ACC and LKAS. Being a aged solo driver, I had started to think that I needed to take an extra night on the road. With these two new (to me) devices, it makes driving so much easier, but then I am not a "driver" like some of you are. I discovered that I am basically a passenger who happens to sit in the driver's seat so these new gadgets suit me perfectly.

14. Ceetee

Ceetee Member

The ACC on openpilot (aftermarket ADAS), is a bit better when someone cuts into your lane. It also has way better LKA. See demo video Join slack channel #clarity on https://comma.slack.com if you are interested in joining that community.

15. Heino

Heino Active Member

On my last road trip I find using sport mode makes ACC more responsive.

16. David Towle

Nope doesn't work, the larger the following distance, the more people pull over in front of you causing the neck snapping deceleration. I like a smooth drive not that!

17. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I drove the interstates with the longest following distance set and did not find that the people pulling into the gap caused rapid deceleration. What mode are you usually driving in?

18. David Towle

Driving in normal (not econ) mode.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  19. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I was always driving in econ mode. I wonder if that makes a difference to how the ACC responds?

20. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

I don't find the ACC as jarring as what is described above. I always drive in ECON mode. The ACC on my 2016 Sonata Hybrid was smoother than the Clarity, but I still find the Clarity's acceptable. I agree with the above post, on a long drive with ACC and LKAS it is really more of a pleasure than without those features.

21. insightman

After ACC detects a car and brakes, and subsequently determines the car is no longer in range, the Clarity returns to the set speed faster in SPORT Mode than in ECON Mode, but the mode doesn't affect the braking.

22. David Towle

Agreed. But additionally because it takes so long it falls even further away from the chosen speed, and ends up going to a higher power level to catch up, and then overshoots sometimes, etc. Its hard to see how there is anything economical about Econ.

23. insightman

I don't use SPORT Mode. In my experience it seems to me that ECON mode is working its way back to the set ACC speed slowly and, I assume, is using a lower power level than SPORT Mode. Also, in my experience again, the ACC drives the car a mile-per-hour slower than the speed I set, so I set it one mph faster than I actually want to go. I don't remember it overshooting the set speed.