cabin filter

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by apu, Jan 15, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I am always amused as to why cabin filters need to be $40-60 propositions from the dealer. In case anyone is interested and thanks to a poster on facebook I can confirm that a cabin filter from a 2019 Hyundai Elantra base model L4 2.0( it may apply to to other models as well) is dimensional exactly the same compared to the one in the Kona Electric and fits perfectly. I just ordered 3 from Rockauto $5.46 each + shipping. Even with exchange and shipping its only around $10 a filter Canadian. A little less if you buy more quantity.

TYC 800216P {#97133F2000}

The lower filter is the OEM from my Kona electric, quality wise very similar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Fastnf, ehatch, Tim94549 and 5 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Rock auto is great...Bought a ton of stuff from them for my 57 chev. I just clean my filter it's only for the cabin LOL..

4. Can confirm this fits, bought 4 about $50 Cdn total including shipping. The element itself (within the frame) is not as thick as the original but works just fine.
    Thanks apu :)
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hyundai,2019,elantra,2.0l+l4,3443271,heat+&+air+conditioning,cabin+air+filter,6832

5. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. robxb

robxb Active Member

Thanks for the tip. I just bought one for $25 from the dealership (not bad, honestly), but will keep this in mind going forward.

8. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I just bought the elantra filter and install in my Kona. Seems to work fine! Rockauto delivered it in three days!

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Yes they are very fast and accurate with their parts and delivery time even considering the current situation.

10. Just changed my original cabin filter at my first 7 months and 13K km, it was quite dirty. Thought I could hold out to a year but I suspect with my periodic travels on gravel roads it will need a change every 6 months. I am happy for the cheaper filter option :) That said I feel if a guy was inclined to do so he could could cut a good quality home furnace filter and probably make a cabin filter that is even cheaper and better than whats available aftermarket or OEM.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Can anybody chime in and let me know what you paid for the one-year service and scheduled maintenance? I'm finally taking it in after much covid-related delay and the dealership is already talking about "standard service " including brakes. They're stuck in ICE land and I don't want to pay for crap I don't need. Canadian quotes preferred but I'll take any feedback you've got.

Kirk and electriceddy like this.
  13. Made me dig but I found it:
    $70.82 + tax.
    First year includes tire rotation and bunch of inspections (I told them I already changed the cabin air filter- saves a lot);)
    Obviously the water pumps recall and software update is covered by Hyundai, but it may be wise to do them separately in case in any issues.
    Also keep in mind that any coolant addition will be covered by the water pump recall.

Wildeyed likes this.
  14. johnparjr

johnparjr New Member

im glad my service is free for 3 years

Wildeyed likes this.
  15. And where do you live that gets free maintenance?

16. johnparjr

johnparjr New Member

california, USA

Wildeyed likes this.
  17. The "free" maintenance in the US for Hyundai EVs is basically just tire rotations and multi-point inspections. Your still on the hook for wear items like overpriced cabin filters, wipers, brakes etc. Additionally the covered schedule is their regular abbreviated one not the severe schedule that Hyundai expects all Canadians to follow. https://www.hyundaiusa.com/content/dam/hyundai/us/com/pdf/assurance/HCM-FAQ.pdf

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  18. johnparjr

johnparjr New Member

My dealer does the cabin filter as part of the free service

19. The dealers in NZ charge about $95 for the OEM cabin filter part alone, a significant chunk of the $240 for servicing where the brake fluid is not changed. On my first service upon noticing my rolleye about this cost for doing virtually nothing to the car, they volunteered to reuse the perfectly-clean existing filter and the cost of the service dropped to an acceptable $135. However, because they know the filter is part of the HVAC system, and somewhat correctly believe that the HVAC 'cools' the battery, it's an item that I can't be too casual about as it's clearly specified as a 'replacement' item in the schedule. If they decided to deny a battery warranty claim on that basis, I would have a difficult time proving them wrong.

20. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

My shop seemed surprised when I asked them not to replace the filter, saying they never did that without discussion.

Just got my replacement from Rockauto and the old one was looking pretty grimy after 32,000 km, even here in the pure air blowing off the Salish Sea.

21. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Well that's a stretch about the HVAC it would have to be pretty clogged to affect

22. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Did you pay CDN for the filters and they shipped it to your home I have used rock auto tons for my old car their parts are very reasonable Was it the elantra filter