Breaking in Clarity Brakes

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tiralc, Dec 23, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tiralc

Tiralc Active Member

I've been talking with experts about tires and balancing and "out of round" this past week. Some frustrations regarding my new Pirelli P7 "winter" all season tires from TireRack (for another thread someday, I decided to keep the OEM ecosavers and to put them back on for late spring, summer, and fall).

Anyway, one of the most knowledgable experts said to me, you know you have not done anything to break-in your brakes and the discs are getting rusty. I replied, off course, I am an EV driver, and hardly ever use the brakes (with some satisfaction).

What I did not get, is that apparently some break-in, is supposed to be good for the brake discs and brake pads. So, he encouraged me to use the brakes more, especially during these early miles. Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2017
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to. New replacement brake pads require some break in, called burnishing, to fit the rotor to the brake pads well. Factory brakes should not. However, I would every so often do a panic brake test to make sure everything is working well and keep too much rust from building up (do so only when safe).

4. FrameFlipper

FrameFlipper New Member

Thanks, sounds like good advice. (Since I purchased the Clarity, the brake discs on my late-model IC Honda are already showing surface rust from lack of use.)

5. JyChevyVolt

JyChevyVolt Active Member

I do hard braking once in a while.