Brand new 2020 Clarity Ev range

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Jay777, Mar 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jay777

Jay777 New Member

I just got one last Friday. When I pick up in dealer it got 71km Ev range. After I went home now the most I saw is 67 km. However google said it should be 77 KM .The temperatures around BC now is 2-8. Is that normal or should I go back to Honda check for the battery.

Also if I drive High way most to work what mode should I put .

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

neal adkins likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Cold weather kills your EV range. Run a good 30 miles with climate control off and next time, you'll see a much higher range. It also depends on the type of drive. If it's flat and slow speed (40 mph or less), you'll get much better range than if it's uphill and interstate driving.

In the winter (NJ) I can go as low as 32 miles EV. Summer time I got up to 50 miles.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Are you looking at your actual EV miles or the EV miles predicted by the Guess-O-Meter? The Guess-O-Meter averages your last few drives and predicts how far you can go on EV power based on those previous drives.

Here's an example: On a 55-degree (13-degree C) day, I drove slowly on back roads, staying off the expressway and beat my Guess-O-Meter's prediction of 45 miles by 9 miles. After charging my Clarity overnight, the Guess-O-Meter predicted I would get 49 miles, but on that colder day my charge took me only 45 miles. When the weather gets warmer, I'll expect more EV miles and after a few drives in that balmy environment, the Guess-O-Meter will catch up and predict about the correct number of EV miles I'll get (assuming the same route and speed).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  5. Paddy

Paddy Member

It’s normal. I live in Toronto. My EV range varies from 50km in the winter to 100km in the summer.

6. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

Congrats on your Clarity! I would do some highway driving in hv mode to allow the ice (gas engine) to break in. I favour hv mode at highway speed and save ev for 60mph or less. But still depends on your trip. I don't treat mine like an ev. It's a heavy car and I don't mind using some gas on the highway. I'm still averaging about 83 mpg at about 50percent highway miles. That's great in my opinion. Enjoy and look through some threads. Kentucky Ken and Insightman are very respected here and have lots valuable information. Search through their post. Enjoy

hamr4267 and Robert_Alabama like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

Did your dealer give you the PDI report when you picked it up, which is required by Honda for the vehicle? This is something still at a miss even two years later. If you get it done, or it was done, I have a post requesting battery capacity data for both new and used cars. This is NOT THE RANGE, but the actual HV capacity reported by the honda scan report (you can only get this report from a dealer right now).

See here: https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/battery-capacity-test-reports-ongoing-data-for-warranty.8317/

Cheers and welcome to the Clarity Club!

Cash

Attached Files:

9. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

My experience is lower range than you report. However, my situation and findings are:
    - Living on a significant hill really effects range. If you come and go daily say 3 or more times a day, it has what feels like a compounding effect.
    - Using the cabin heat is very expensive in terms of EV range.
    - Driving at highway speeds can reduce range.
    - as others note, cold in and of itself will reduce battery efficiency. Folks argue about how much. I'd say the number I see reported most is 40%.
    And yes, this means in the summer time (or more optimal weather), you'll see much better numbers.

10. Jay777

Jay777 New Member

I don't believe I have that when I walk out of the dealer. Is it free?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

11. I’m also in BC (but in Kelowna where the temperature gamut is a bit wider). The number displayed on the dash will fluctuate (sometimes wildly) depending on your driving habits, the terrain, and perhaps most significantly, the ambient temperature. Back in January it was getting down to -15 to -20C and I was seeing estimated ranges in the low- to mid-30kms. Now that it’s warmed up and the temperatures are floating between -5 and 15C I’m getting estimates in the low-60kms. Last summer I was able to get the estimate as high as 114km (this was after driving about 380km and coasting on regen for the last 50km of the drive as it was all downhill). That number trickled back down to around 95-105kms over the next couple days.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

@Jay777 Yes it is FREE, the dealer was supposed to do all that before handing you the keys. It is why it is called a pre-delivery inspection. They OWE you it regardless. Go back and make sure they did it. A lot of people picked up their vehicles still missing some parts, like the road noise dampening plugs that go under the body chassis near the doors.

Read the documents, it is very informative about your new vehicle.

One if the first glorious pieces of information I learned from this forum when I bought the car. Unfortunately I didn't find this forum "before" buying the car or I'd have really put the dealer to the grindstone. I went back 3 months after buying the car with this PDI printed in hand and just stared at them until they figured out they "missed a few things."

Cheers,

Cash

14. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Here’s a copy of the Clarity specific PDI that has a lot of good info besides the Battery Capacity Test. It seems hardly any dealers are using it or even aware of it. I believe it came out in March of 2018.

Technically, the Battery Capacity Test is in the section after the pre-delivery items but I and others have easily convinced our dealers that they were supposed to run this. Just show it to them and say it’s in the PDI and needs for be done. The dealers are so clueless about the Clarity that they will just look at it and think they have to do it.

The two other biggest omissions in PDIs reported are not deflating the tires from the transport 60 psi down to 36 psi and the failure to install the 4 underbody plugs. The PDI below will show where they go so you can check for them.

Now that temps are above 50 F, I am back to low 50s range. I see low 60s when temps go above 65ish even w AC usage.
    Temps, driving style, passenger/cargo weight, speed, and cabin heat/defrost will all affect your range.
    I’ve found that AC and lights have very little effect but heater use severely reduces range. It’s the dirty little secret of EVs that few salesmen talk about.

Attached Files: