Brake Light

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Robrian7, Jul 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robrian7

Robrian7 New Member

Over the past 2 weeks, I have noticed that when I power my vehicle on the red brake light warning appears. It turns off when the vehicle is put in "drive", however. I've never noticed this before and wonder if I accidentally hit something to make this light appear. There does not seem to be any issues while driving, thankfully! I've included a picture to illustrate my concern. Thanks for chiming in! :)

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MelCdn

MelCdn New Member

That is the parking brake. It may be set to auto on/off.

4. "With the Auto Hold feature enabled, the EPB is automatically applied when the vehicle is shut off". (from the manual 5-30)
    The catch is "If EPB is applied, Auto Hold will be released (5-36)." So there is no indication that the Auto Hold was on during your previous drive, when you restart the vehicle as in your picture, if that is when you took the snapshot.
    Best just not to use the Auto Hold as it can be confusing this way and jerks when going in reverse or very slow speed anyway.

5. I smashed my rear bumper this way!

6. It can be just as bad creeping forward as well:rolleyes:

SkookumPete likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robrian7

Robrian7 New Member

Thank you for all your helpful responses. Yes, I often apply the "Auto Hold" feature while driving, but I may need to stop if it's going to create problems. :)

9. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I use it very infrequently. Prefer to hold my foot on brake, like driving an ICE car. Then I know the brake light is on too. It still holds on a hill when you take foot off brake to begin accelerating, even if auto hold is off

KiwiME likes this.
  10. No access to my manual right now, but I believe that the hill assist times out after a short period. Will look up later.

11. KonaTom

it’s not meant to hold for awhile. Only holds while you move your foot from brake to accelerator.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Just confirmed on a hill, it times out after 4 seconds

14. Manual says 5 seconds.

15. Better practice up on my "Mississippi's":eek:

KiwiME likes this.
  16. KonaTom

You probably only used three ‘s’s

electriceddy likes this.